Find acceleration of a modified atwood machine

In summary, an Atwood machine with a disk of mass 2.4 and radius 23.4 has a resultant moment of 0.38 Nm, and using the equation Torque=I*alpha, we can find the acceleration of the system.
sunniexdayzz

Homework Statement

An Atwood machine is constructed using a disk of mass 2.4 and radius 23.4. What is the acceleration of the system? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 .
Picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/SfTbLxMiShi/atwood.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sumF=ma[/tex]
torque = I(alpha)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to find the sum of the forces in the y direction for the 3 different bodies, then i tried to find the torque for the pulley and use one of the bodies' force and set it equal to the torque

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert all the masses to weights, then find the resultant moment about the disk (the resultant of 1.66 and 1.28). Then use Torque=I*alpha

Related to Find acceleration of a modified atwood machine

1. How does a modified Atwood machine differ from a traditional one?

A modified Atwood machine is similar to a traditional Atwood machine in that it consists of two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley. However, in a modified Atwood machine, one or both of the masses may be modified by the addition of other objects or materials, changing the overall system and affecting the acceleration calculations.

2. What is the formula for finding acceleration in a modified Atwood machine?

The formula for finding acceleration in a modified Atwood machine is: a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How do you determine the direction of acceleration in a modified Atwood machine?

The direction of acceleration in a modified Atwood machine can be determined by comparing the masses on either side of the pulley. The heavier mass will experience a downward acceleration, while the lighter mass will experience an upward acceleration. This will also depend on the direction in which the string is pulled.

4. How does friction affect the acceleration in a modified Atwood machine?

Friction can have a significant impact on the acceleration in a modified Atwood machine. Frictional forces can act on the pulley or the masses, causing a decrease in acceleration. To account for friction, the mass of the pulley and any additional frictional forces can be included in the acceleration formula.

5. Can the acceleration in a modified Atwood machine ever be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the acceleration in a modified Atwood machine can never be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the maximum acceleration that can be achieved in this system is equal to the acceleration due to gravity, regardless of the masses or modifications present. This is due to the conservation of energy and the limitations of the system itself.