Find Algorithm for O(V*E) Transitive Closure of a Graph

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: This seems more efficient, right? (Yes)Yes, the algorithm becomes $\Theta(|V|+|E|)$ instead of $\Theta(|V|^2+|V| \cdot |E|)$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that we are given a directed graph and we want to find out if a vertex $j$ is reachable from another vertex $i$ for all vertex pairs $(i, j)$ in the given graph.
Reachable mean that there is a path from vertex $i$ to $j$.
The reachability matrix is called transitive closure of a graph.I want to write an algorithm that runs in time $O(|V| \cdot |E|)$ and calculates the transitive closure of a directed graph $G=(V,E)$.

I have tried the following:

Code:
Transitive_Closure(G)
     compute a topological sorting {v_0, v_1,..., v_(|V|-1)}
     for v=1 to |V|
          for u=1 to |V|
                T(v,u)=0
     for v=1 to |V|
           C(v,v)

C(i,j)
     for each u in Adj[j]
          T(i,u)=1
          C(i,u)

But the time complexity of the algorithm will be $O(V^2)$, right? (Worried)
What could we change, in order to get the desired time complexity?

Technology news on Phys.org
Topological sorting can be computed only for DAGs.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Topological sorting can be computed only for DAGs.

Oh yes, right... (Tmi)

We could also apply [m] DFS [/m] for each vertex and if for some vertices $u,v$ it holds that $[d[v],f[v]] \subset [d,f]$ then we deduce that $v$ is reachable from $u$. ($d$ is the discovery time of a vertex $s$ and $f$ is its finishing time)
Am I right?
If so, then the time complexity will be $\Theta(|V| \cdot (|V|+|E|))=\Theta(|V|^2+|V| \cdot |E|)$.
But then it only holds that the time complexity is $O(|V| \cdot |E|)$ if $|E| \geq |V|$ and we are not given such an information.. (Worried)Or do we have to modify Floyd-Warshall in order to calculate the transitive closure of a directed graph $G=(V,E)$? But I am not sure how we could modify the algorithm so that it is done in time $O(|V| \cdot |E|)$, since it has three for-loops and it requires $O(|V|^3)$ time..

I believe we could perform BFS or DFS from each vertex. Now, I agree that the complexity of both searches is $O(|E|+|V|)$, but I think it is also $O(|E|)$. Indeed, BFS and DFS explore only the connected component to which the starting vertex belongs, and in a connected graph $|V|\le |E|+1$ (equality holds for a tree). Therefore, $O(|V|+|E|)=O(|E|)$. I have no idea why some pages (such as this and this) say that BFS visits every vertex even in a disconnected graph (in such graphs $|E|$ can indeed be significantly smaller than $|V|)$.

Therefore, doing BFS for each vertex has complexity $O(|V|\cdot|E|)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I believe we could perform BFS or DFS from each vertex. Now, I agree that the complexity of both searches is $O(|E|+|V|)$, but I think it is also $O(|E|)$. Indeed, BFS and DFS explore only the connected component to which the starting vertex belongs, and in a connected graph $|V|\le |E|+1$ (equality holds for a tree). Therefore, $O(|V|+|E|)=O(|E|)$. I have no idea why some pages (such as this and this) say that BFS visits every vertex even in a disconnected graph (in such graphs $|E|$ can indeed be significantly smaller than $|V|)$.

Therefore, doing BFS for each vertex has complexity $O(|V|\cdot|E|)$.

I see.. (Smile)

So do we have to call BFS for each vertex $v$ and if the color of an other vertex gets black, we know that it is reachable from $v$ and elsewhise we know that it isn't? So should the algorithm look as follows?

Code:
Transitive_Closure(G)
1.  for each vertex u in G.V
2.       for each vertex v in G.V
3.            T[u,v]=0
4.   for each vertex u in G.V
5.        BFS(G,u)
6.   return T

Code:
BFS(G,s)
1.  for each vertex u in G.V-{s}
2.       color[u]=WHITE
3.       d[u]=inf
4.       pi[u]=NIL
5.  color[s]=GRAY
6.  d[s]=0
7.  pi[s]=NIL
8.  Q=empty set
7.  ENQUEUE(Q,s)
8.  while Q!= empty set
9.          u=DEQUEUE(Q)
10.        for each v in G.Adj[u]
11.             if color[v]==WHITE
12.                color[v]=GRAY
13.                d[v]=d[u]+1
14.                pi[v]=u
17.                ENQUEUE(Q,v)
18.        color[u]=BLACK
19.        T[s,u]=1

We find the time complexity of the algorithm [m]Transitive_Closure[/m] as follows:

• The lines 1-3 require time $O(|V|^2)=O(|V| \cdot |V|) \overset{|V| \leq |E|+1}{=} O((|E|+1) \cdot |V|)=O(|E| \cdot |V|)$
  • The lines 4-5 require time $O(|V| \cdot (|V|+|E|))=O(|V| \cdot |E|)$
  • The line $6$ requires time $O(1)$.

So the time complexity of the algorithm is $O(|E| \cdot |V|)+O(|V| \cdot |E|)+O(1)=O(|V| \cdot |E|)$.
Am I right? (Thinking)

Or should it be as follows? Should the command [m]T[u,v]=1[/m] be at the line 11 and not at the end of the algorithm BFS? (Thinking)
We don't want T[u,v] to be equal to "1" only if u and v are adjacent ($u \rightarrow v$) but T[u,v] should be "1" also when we have $u \rightarrow w \rightarrow v$, right? Do we get this result with the change I did? (Thinking)

Code:
    Transitive_Closure(G)
    3.            T[u,v]=0
    5.        BFS(G,u)
    6.   return T

Code:
    BFS(G,s)
    2.       color[u]=WHITE
    3.       d[u]=inf
    4.       pi[u]=NIL
    5.  color[s]=GRAY
    6.  d[s]=0
    7.  pi[s]=NIL
    8.  Q=empty set
    7.  ENQUEUE(Q,s)
    8.  while Q!= empty set
    9.         u=DEQUEUE(Q)
    10.        for each v in G.Adj[u]
    11.             T[u,v]=1
    12.             if color[v]==WHITE
    13.                color[v]=GRAY
    14.                d[v]=d[u]+1
    15.                pi[v]=u
    16.                ENQUEUE(Q,v)
    17.        color[u]=BLACK

I changed the algorithm and it gives the right output:

Code:
    Transitive_Closure(G)
    3.            T[u,v]=0
    5.        BFS(G,u,T)
    6.   return T

BFS(G,s,T)
    2.       color[u]=WHITE
    3.  color[s]=GRAY
    4.  Q=empty set
    5.  ENQUEUE(Q,s)
    6.  while Q!= empty set
    7.         u=DEQUEUE(Q)
    8.        for each v in G.Adj[u]            
    9.             if color[v]==WHITE
    10.               T[s,v]=1
    11.               color[v]=GRAY
    12.               ENQUEUE(Q,v)
    13.        color[u]=BLACK
The initialization of [m]T[/m] requires $O(|V|^2)$ time, and so the time complexity of the algorithm is $O(|V|^2+|V|(|V|+|E|))=O(|V|^2+|V| \cdot |E|)$.

We don't know if the given graph is connected, so we cannot use the fact that $|V| \leq |E|+1$, right?
What could we do in order to get time complexity $O(|V| \cdot |E|)$?
Can the initialization be avoided? :confused:

I tried the following: http://pastebin.com/qNvvRCYf

Is the time complexity calculated as follows? Or am I wrong?
The time complexity of T=createGraph(V) is O(|V|). The time complexity of BFS is O(|V_i|+|E_i|)(the time complexity of addEdge is O(1)). So, the lines 2,3 are executed $\sum_{i=1}^{|V|} O(|V_i|+|E_i|)=\sum_{i=1}^{|V|} O(|E_i|) \leq \sum_{i=1}^{|V|} O(|E|)=O(|V| \cdot |E|)$ times and this is also the time complexity of the algorithm.

($|V_i|, |E_i|$ are the number of vertices and edges in the ith component respectively)

evinda said:
The time complexity of T=createGraph(V) is O(|V|).
What does createGraph(V) do?

evinda said:
So, the lines 2,3 are executed $\sum_{i=1}^{|V|} O(|V_i|+|E_i|)$... ($|V_i|, |E_i|$ are the number of vertices and edges in the ith component respectively)
Are you assuming the graph has $|V|$ components (since $i$ ranges from 1 to $|V|$ in the sum)?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What does createGraph(V) do?

With [m] createGraph(V) [/m] we initialize the matrix of adjacency lists.
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Are you assuming the graph has $|V|$ components (since $i$ ranges from 1 to $|V|$ in the sum)?

I did so because I thought that this is the worst case if we have $|V|$ components. Is it wrong?

evinda said:
With [m] createGraph(V) [/m] we initialize the matrix of adjacency lists.
Isn't the graph given to you as input?

evinda said:
I did so because I thought that this is the worst case if we have $|V|$ components.
Then why did you write $|V_i|$ instead of 1 and $|E_i|$ instead of 0?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Isn't the graph given to you as input?

Oh yes right... (Nod) Doesn't the following suffice? I deleted the definitions of the structs..

Code:
Transitive_Closure(G)
        // T is the matrix of adjacency lists, which is at the beginning NULL
        1.   for each vertex u in G.V
        2.        BFS(G,u,T)
        3.   return T

BFS(G,s,T)
        2.       color[u]=WHITE
        3.  color[s]=GRAY
        4.  Q=empty set
        5.  ENQUEUE(Q,s)
        6.  while Q!= empty set
        7.         u=DEQUEUE(Q)
        8.        for each v in G.Adj[u]            
        9.             if color[v]==WHITE
        10.               addEdge(T, s, v)
        11.               color[v]=GRAY
        12.               ENQUEUE(Q,v)
        13.        color[u]=BLACK 

void addEdge(T, position, vertex)
        {
            newNode->data=vertex;
            newNode->next = T[position].head;
            T[position].head = newNode;
        }

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Then why did you write $|V_i|$ instead of 1 and $|E_i|$ instead of 0?

Rethinking about it, couldn't we say that the time complexity is $O(|V|)+\sum_{i}O(|V|(|V_i|+|E_i|))= \sum_{i}O(|V|(|V_i|+|E_i|))=\sum_{i}O(|V|(|E_i|))=O(|V| \sum_i |E_i|) $ and since $ \sum |E_i| = |E|$ we have that $\sum_{i}O(|V|(|V_i|+|E_i|))=O(|V| \cdot |E|)$?

Last edited:

Related to Find Algorithm for O(V*E) Transitive Closure of a Graph

1. What is an algorithm for finding the transitive closure of a graph with O(V*E) time complexity?

An algorithm for finding the transitive closure of a graph with O(V*E) time complexity involves using a depth-first search or breadth-first search approach to traverse the graph and identify all possible paths between vertices. The key is to use efficient data structures and algorithms to keep track of visited vertices and avoid repeating calculations.

2. How does the time complexity of this algorithm compare to other approaches?

The time complexity of this algorithm, O(V*E), is considered to be more efficient than other approaches, such as the Floyd-Warshall algorithm which has a time complexity of O(V^3). This is because the O(V*E) algorithm only considers the vertices and edges that are present in the graph, rather than considering all possible paths between all vertices.

3. What is the significance of O(V*E) time complexity in terms of the size of the graph?

O(V*E) time complexity indicates that the time taken to find the transitive closure of a graph is directly proportional to the number of vertices (V) and the number of edges (E) in the graph. This means that as the size of the graph increases, the time taken by the algorithm will also increase, but at a slower rate compared to algorithms with higher time complexities.

4. Can this algorithm be used for directed and undirected graphs?

Yes, this algorithm can be used for both directed and undirected graphs. The key is to properly implement the depth-first or breadth-first search approach, and to keep track of the direction of the edges when traversing the graph.

5. Are there any limitations to this algorithm?

While this algorithm is efficient for finding the transitive closure of a graph, it may not be suitable for very large graphs with a high number of vertices and edges. In such cases, other more advanced algorithms may be more suitable. Additionally, this algorithm may not work for graphs with negative edge weights as it relies on calculating all possible paths between vertices.