Find all 2x2 matrices X such that AX=XA for all 2x2 matrices

• Thread starter Clandry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the homework statement asks for all 2x2 matrices X such that AX=XA for all 2x2 matrices. An algebraic solution is found if x=y=0.
Clandry

Homework Statement

Find all 2x2 matrices X such that AX=XA for all 2x2 matrices

The Attempt at a Solution

Let A =
a b
c d

and X =
w x
y z

Then AX = XA ==>

aw+by=wa+xc ...(1)
ax+bz=wb+xd ...(2)
cw+dy=ya+zc ...(3)
cx+dz=yb+zd ...(4)

(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all b and c only if x=y=0.
(2) ==> bz = wb, which hods for all b only if z=w.
(3) ==> w=z
(4) ==> x=y=0

So the answer is x=y=0, and w=z. That is, X = k*I with k being any real number and I is the identity matrix.
How does this look?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see the algebra for (1) ... not the others. Perhaps you should be more explicit.
But your result works. Does k have to be a real number?

Hello. Thank you for the reply. The algebra for (2)-(4) were based on the results of (1).

For (2), we have ax+bz=wb+xd; in (1) we decided that x=y=0, thus this expression becomes bz=wb
For (3), if x=y=0, then w=z
For (4), we have cx+dz=yb+zd=> xc=yb, thus x=y=0.I am not too confident with what I did for part 1. "(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all b and c only if x=y=0. "
Alternatively, could I have also said "(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all x and y only if b=c=0. "

I think I see what you mean. It kinda looks like you are saying that x=y=0 as a strong assertion - you got there by reason more than algebra - and that feels weak right?

I am not too confident with what I did for part 1. "(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all b and c only if x=y=0. "
Alternatively, could I have also said "(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all x and y only if b=c=0. "
In the second case, then you have just observed that for any A where b=c=0, the values of x and y in X don't matter.
But your problem was to find the values of x and y (and the rest) that work when b and c are other numbers too.

If you want a more rigorous approach, that depends less on direct reasoning, then try simplifying each line independently, building a matrix of coefficients, then using echelon reduction to arrive at the relationships.

Ah I see what you are saying. I had forgotten the essence of the problem statement.

Regarding the rigorous approach, it seems there are too many unknowns for that to come out nicely?

No, it just means the solution is not unique...

Related to Find all 2x2 matrices X such that AX=XA for all 2x2 matrices

1. What is the definition of a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in two rows and two columns. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent systems of equations and transformations.

2. What is the significance of AX=XA in a 2x2 matrix?

AX=XA is known as the commutative property of matrices, which states that the order in which two matrices are multiplied does not affect the end result. This is an important property in matrix algebra and is often used in solving systems of linear equations.

3. How can I find all 2x2 matrices X that satisfy AX=XA?

To find all 2x2 matrices X that satisfy AX=XA, you can use the properties of matrix multiplication and the commutative property to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown values in the matrix X.

4. What is the solution set for AX=XA?

The solution set for AX=XA consists of all possible 2x2 matrices X that satisfy the equation for a given 2x2 matrix A. This solution set can vary depending on the values in matrix A and can be found by solving the system of equations set up by the commutative property.

5. Are there any other properties or characteristics of matrices that are important to consider when solving AX=XA?

Yes, there are other properties and characteristics of matrices that are important to consider when solving AX=XA. These include the associative and distributive properties, as well as the properties of matrix inverses and determinants. These properties can be used to simplify the system of equations and find a more efficient solution for AX=XA.