Find all possible values of |x+y+z|

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the equation x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = xyz can be written as x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = xyz or x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = (x-iy)^3. Replacing x,y,z with lambda x,lambda y,lambda z in the equation results in x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = (lambda x)(lambda y)(lambda z) which simplifies to x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = lambda x^3. This solution can be found by rotating the complex plane around the origin such that the points 1,1,c,c are located
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $x,\,y,\,z$ be complex numbers such that $|x|=|y|=|z|=1$.

If $\dfrac{x^2}{yz}+\dfrac{y^2}{zx}+\dfrac{z^2}{xy}=1$, find the product of all possible values of $|x+y+z|$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $x,\,y,\,z$ be complex numbers such that $|x|=|y|=|z|=1$.

If $\dfrac{x^2}{yz}+\dfrac{y^2}{zx}+\dfrac{z^2}{xy}=1$, find the product of all possible values of $|x+y+z|$.
[sp]Write the equation as $x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = xyz$. If $\lambda$ is any complex number with $|\lambda|=1$ then the equation is unaltered if we replace $x,y,z$ by $\lambda x,\lambda y,\lambda z$, and $|x+y+z|$ is then also unaltered. So choose $\lambda$ to be a cube root of $(xyz)^{-1}$. The equation then becomes $x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = xyz = 1.$

Now let $a=x^3$, $b=y^3$, $c=z^3$. Then $|a| = |b| = |c| = 1$ and $a+b+c = abc = 1$, from which $\frac12(a+b) = \frac12(1-c).$ So the points $1,a,b,c$ all lie on the unit circle, and the midpoint of the chord from $a$ to $b$ is the same as the midpoint of the chord from $1$ to $-c$. But the midpoint of a chord of a circle uniquely determines its endpoints. So $a$ and $b$ must be the same as $1$ and $-c$. Therefore the three points are $\{1,c,-c\}.$ But their product is $1$, so that $-c^2 = 1$, $c = \pm i.$

Therefore $x,y,z$ are cube roots of $1,i,-i$. That leaves only finitely many possible choices for $x,y,z$. You can check that all of them are obtained (by rotation of the circle) from two basic solutions $\{1,\omega,\omega^{-1}\}$ and $\{1,\omega^5,\omega^{-5}\}$, where $\omega = e^{i\pi/6}$. The corresponding values of $|x+y+z|$ are $\sqrt3+1$ and $\sqrt3-1$, with product $(\sqrt3+1)( \sqrt3-1) = \boxed2.$[/sp]

Opalg said:
[sp]Write the equation as $x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = xyz$. If $\lambda$ is any complex number with $|\lambda|=1$ then the equation is unaltered if we replace $x,y,z$ by $\lambda x,\lambda y,\lambda z$, and $|x+y+z|$ is then also unaltered. So choose $\lambda$ to be a cube root of $(xyz)^{-1}$. The equation then becomes $x^3 + y^3 + z^3 = xyz = 1.$

Now let $a=x^3$, $b=y^3$, $c=z^3$. Then $|a| = |b| = |c| = 1$ and $a+b+c = abc = 1$, from which $\frac12(a+b) = \frac12(1-c).$ So the points $1,a,b,c$ all lie on the unit circle, and the midpoint of the chord from $a$ to $b$ is the same as the midpoint of the chord from $1$ to $-c$. But the midpoint of a chord of a circle uniquely determines its endpoints. So $a$ and $b$ must be the same as $1$ and $-c$. Therefore the three points are $\{1,c,-c\}.$ But their product is $1$, so that $-c^2 = 1$, $c = \pm i.$

Therefore $x,y,z$ are cube roots of $1,i,-i$. That leaves only finitely many possible choices for $x,y,z$. You can check that all of them are obtained (by rotation of the circle) from two basic solutions $\{1,\omega,\omega^{-1}\}$ and $\{1,\omega^5,\omega^{-5}\}$, where $\omega = e^{i\pi/6}$. The corresponding values of $|x+y+z|$ are $\sqrt3+1$ and $\sqrt3-1$, with product $(\sqrt3+1)( \sqrt3-1) = \boxed2.$[/sp]

What a neat solution, bravo, Opalg! And thanks for participating.

I would also like to share the solution that comes along with this good problem, here goes:

Let $s=x+y+z$

Then

$\begin{align*}s^3&=x^3+y^3+z^3+3(x^2y+xy^2+y^2z+yz^2+z^2x+zx^2)+6xyz\\&=xyz\left(\dfrac{x^2}{yz}+\dfrac{y^2}{zx}+\dfrac{z^2}{xy}+3\left(\dfrac{y}{x}+\dfrac{y}{z}+\dfrac{z}{y}+\dfrac{z}{x}+\dfrac{x}{z}\right)+6\right)\\&=xyz\left(1+\left(3(x+y+z)\left(\dfrac{1}{x}+\dfrac{1}{y}+\dfrac{1}{z}\right)-9\right)+6\right)\\&=xyz\left(3s\left(\dfrac{1}{x}+\dfrac{1}{y}+\dfrac{1}{z}\right)-2\right)\\&=xyz(3s\overline{s}-2)\,\,\text{because $\overline{s}=\overline{x}+\overline{y}+\overline{z}=\dfrac{1}{x}+\dfrac{1}{y}+\dfrac{1}{z}$}\\&=xyz(3\left| s \right|^2-2)\end{align*}$

Taking absolute values, we find $\left| s \right|^3=\left| \left| 3s \right|^2-2 \right|$. It follows that $\left| s \right|$ must be a positive real root of $a^3-3a^2+2=0$ or $a^3+3a^2-2=0$. However, since the negative real roots of $a^3-3a^2+2=0$ are exactly the additive inverses of the positive real roots of $a^3-3a^2+2=0$, and all three roots of $a^3-2a^2+2=0$ are real ($a^3-3a^2+2=0$ maybe factored as $(a-1)(a^2-2a-2)=0$, and the discriminant of $a^2-2a-2$ is positive), the product of all possible values of $\left| s \right|$ is $(-2)\cdot(-1)^n$, where $n$ denotes the number of negative real roos of $a^3-3a^2+2=0$. By Descartes's Rule of Signs, we see that $n$ is odd, so the answer is 2, as desired.

FAQ: Find all possible values of |x+y+z|

1. What does |x+y+z| represent?

The expression |x+y+z| represents the absolute value of the sum of three variables, x, y, and z. This means that the result will always be a positive number, regardless of the values of the variables.

2. How do I find all possible values of |x+y+z|?

To find all possible values of |x+y+z|, you would need to consider all possible combinations of values for the variables x, y, and z. This can be done by systematically changing the values of each variable and calculating the absolute value of their sum.

3. Can the absolute value of a sum be negative?

No, the absolute value of a sum can never be negative. By definition, the absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on the number line, so it will always be a positive value.

4. Is there a specific method or formula for finding all possible values of |x+y+z|?

There is no specific method or formula for finding all possible values of |x+y+z|. It ultimately depends on the context of the problem and the values of x, y, and z. However, systematically changing the values of each variable and calculating the absolute value of their sum is a common approach.

5. Why is it important to find all possible values of |x+y+z|?

Finding all possible values of |x+y+z| can be important in mathematical or scientific problem-solving because it allows for a comprehensive understanding of the potential outcomes. It can also help in identifying patterns or trends in the data and can lead to more accurate and precise results.