Find all the holomorphic functions that satisfy certain condition

In summary: Yes, I see and understand it now, I don't know why I got confused. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
mahler1
Homework Statement

Find all the holomorphic functions ##f: \mathbb C \to \mathbb C## such that ##f'(0)=1## and for all ##x,y \in \mathbb R##,

##f(x+iy)=e^xf(iy)##

I am completely stuck with this exercise, for the second condition, I know that ##f(iy)=g(y)+ih(y)##, but is there something that ##g## and ##h## must satisfy? I would appreciate any hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement

Find all the holomorphic functions ##f: \mathbb C \to \mathbb C## such that ##f'(0)=1## and for all ##x,y \in \mathbb R##,

##f(x+iy)=e^xf(iy)##

I am completely stuck with this exercise, for the second condition, I know that ##f(iy)=g(y)+ih(y)##, but is there something that ##g## and ##h## must satisfy? I would appreciate any hints.

##e^x (g(y)+ih(y))## needs to satisfy Cauchy-Riemann. See what you get out of that.

Likes 1 person
As you've said, ##f## must satisfy the C-R equations, so ##f(x+iy)=e^x(g(y)+ih(y))##, with real part ##u(x,y)=e^xg(y)## and imaginary part ##v(x,y)=e^xh(y)##. By Cauchy Riemann we have

(1) ##e^xg(y)=u_x=v_y=e^xh'(y)##
(2) ##e^xg'(y)=u_y=-v_x=-e^xh(y)##

(1) and (2) reduce to

(3)##g(y)=h'(y)##
(4)##g'(y)=-h(y)##

Two functions that satisfy (3) and (4) are ##g(y)=k_1\cos(y)+c_1## and ##h(y)=k_2\sin(y)+c_2##, with ##k_1,k_2,c_1,c_2 \in \mathbb R##

Now, my doubt is: how can I assure that sine and cosine are the only functions that satisfy equations (3) and (4)?

mahler1 said:
As you've said, ##f## must satisfy the C-R equations, so ##f(x+iy)=e^x(g(y)+ih(y))##, with real part ##u(x,y)=e^xg(y)## and imaginary part ##v(x,y)=e^xh(y)##. By Cauchy Riemann we have

(1) ##e^xg(y)=u_x=v_y=e^xh'(y)##
(2) ##e^xg'(y)=u_y=-v_x=-e^xh(y)##

(1) and (2) reduce to

(3)##g(y)=h'(y)##
(4)##g'(y)=-h(y)##

Two functions that satisfy (3) and (4) are ##g(y)=k_1\cos(y)+c_1## and ##h(y)=k_2\sin(y)+c_2##, with ##k_1,k_2,c_1,c_2 \in \mathbb R##

Now, my doubt is: how can I assure that sine and cosine are the only functions that satisfy equations (3) and (4)?

Do you know existence and uniqueness theorems for differential equations?

Likes 1 person
I know very little about differential equations, which hypothesis one needs to assure existence and uniqueness (or which textbook could you recommend me to read about this?)?

Last edited:
mahler1 said:
I know very little about differential equations, which hypothesis one needs to assure existence and uniqueness (or which textbook could you recommend me to read about this?)?

I have one more basic question: I've described ##f(iy)=g(y)+ih(y)##, but now that I think about, is this correctly expressed or is it instead ##f(iy)=g(iy)+ih(iy)##?

The problem with this last expression is that it doesn't satisfy the Cauchy Riemann equations because, for example, I would get

##g(iy)=u_x=v_y=ih'(iy)##, which is absurd

No, you defined g(y) and h(y) to be the real and imaginary parts of f(iy), remember?

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
No, you defined g(y) and h(y) to be the real and imaginary parts of f(iy), remember?

Yes, I see and understand it now, I don't know why I got confused. Thanks

Related to Find all the holomorphic functions that satisfy certain condition

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain.

2. What are the conditions for a function to be holomorphic?

A function must be complex differentiable at every point in its domain to be considered holomorphic.

3. How do you find all the holomorphic functions that satisfy a certain condition?

To find all the holomorphic functions that satisfy a certain condition, you can use techniques such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations or the Cauchy Integral Formula.

4. What are some common conditions used to find holomorphic functions?

Some common conditions used to find holomorphic functions include being analytic, being entire, or being meromorphic.

5. Can any function be holomorphic?

No, not all functions can be holomorphic. Only functions that satisfy the conditions for holomorphicity can be considered holomorphic.