Find an expression in terms of v in terms of p, b and a

In summary, with p litres of petrol in the tank, a car can travel a kilometer. With v litres of petrol in the tank, the car can travel 1 kilometre.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

If a car has p litres of petrol in the tank it can travel a kilometres. With v litres of petrol in the tank it can travel b kilometres. Find an expression in terms of v in terms of p, b and a.

2. The attempt at a solution

I just cross-multiplied how I was shown in class, and get v = (p * b) divided by a

So my question is first is this answer correct, and if so, how to demonstrate in perhaps a few steps how I get to it. As I do not understand logically why this is the answer (if it is)

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:

Homework Statement

If a car has p litres of petrol in the tank it can travel a kilometres. With v litres of petrol in the tank it can travel b kilometres. Find an expression in terms of v in terms of p, b and a.

2. The attempt at a solution

I just cross-multiplied how I was shown in class, and get v = (p * b) divided by a

So my question is first is this answer correct, and if so, how to demonstrate in perhaps a few steps how I get to it. As I do not understand logically why this is the answer (if it is)

Here's how I'd look at it:

With p litres it can travel a kilometres. So, with p/a litres it can travel 1 kilometre. Does that make sense?

Can you now do the next bit?

Yes, it is correct. What part in the derivation are you unsure about? The first question to ask would be: How much fuel is spent per kilometer travelled?

PeroK said:
Here's how I'd look at it:

With p litres it can travel a kilometres. So, with p/a litres it can travel 1 kilometre. Does that make sense?

Can you now do the next bit?

Ahhh, so with v litres it can travel b kilometres. So, with v/b litres it can travel 1 kilometre.

So, if 1 litre = 1 litre

then, v/b = p/a

So v = (p/a) * b

Natasha1 said:
Ahhh, so with v litres it can travel b kilometres. So, with v/b litres it can travel 1 kilometre.

So, if 1 litre = 1 litre

then, v/b = p/a

So v = (p/a) * b

Yes, although I'd actually look at it slightly differently:

It takes p/a litres to go 1 kilometre.

So, to go b kilometres it takes b*(p/a) litres. So, v = b*(p/a).

With all such problems it's often a good idea to think how much to go 1 kilometre. Or, how far can you go on 1 litre.

You could, in fact, do the problem again thinking "how far can you travel on 1 litre".

FAQ: Find an expression in terms of v in terms of p, b and a

1. How do you find an expression in terms of v when given p, b, and a?

To find an expression in terms of v, you must first identify the relationship between p, b, a, and v. Then, use algebraic manipulation to isolate v on one side of the equation. This will give you the expression in terms of v.

2. Can you provide an example of finding an expression in terms of v?

Sure, let's say we have the equation p = abv. To find the expression in terms of v, we can divide both sides by ab, giving us v = p/(ab). Therefore, the expression in terms of v is v = p/(ab).

3. What does it mean to express something in terms of v?

Expressing something in terms of v means to represent it using v as the variable. This allows us to see how the other variables (in this case, p, b, and a) are related to v.

4. Can you find an expression in terms of v if v is in the denominator?

Yes, we can still find an expression in terms of v if v is in the denominator. We can use algebraic manipulation to move v to the numerator, similar to the example given in question 2.

5. Why is it useful to find an expression in terms of v?

Finding an expression in terms of v allows us to see the relationship between the variables and how they affect each other. It also makes it easier to solve for any of the variables if we have a specific value for v.

Back