Find Analytic Function F: Cauchy-Riemann Eqns

• Thread starter morganmkm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytic function F where F' equals a given function f. The three given functions are z-2, ((z^4)+1)/(z^2), and sinzcosz. It is suggested to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations and integrate in a similar way to calculus. The antiderivative for the first function is z^2/2 - 2z + C, and the second function requires specifying a domain. It is also mentioned to use arguments such as independence of path and Morera's theorem to show the analyticity of the antiderivative.
morganmkm
find an analytic function F where F' = f

f(z) = z-2
f(z) = ((z^4) +1)/(z^2)
f(z) = sinzcosz

I know I have to put these into the cauchy riemann equations but I don't know what to use for my du/dx or du/dy because I am not sure to use x-2 for my du/dx etc or if I am supposed to integrate first. I don't know which parts of the equations fit into the riemann-cauchy equations. My book only gives one example and I don't know how to relate these, please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Just integrate like in calculus?

All these expressions can be handled by ordinary integration (the second one is more difficult).
For example f(z) = z-2, them F(z) = z2/2 - 2z + C.

The second function is not entire , so you need to specify a domain. Depending on the level of your class, it would be nice to have an argument for why the antiderivative is analytic (hint, use something like independence of path and Morera's thm.)

To find an analytic function F, we need to satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are:

∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y
∂u/∂y = -∂v/∂x

where u and v are the real and imaginary parts of F, respectively. In order to find F, we need to integrate the given functions for f(z) and then use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to determine the real and imaginary parts of F.

For the first function, f(z) = z-2, we can integrate to get F(z) = (z^2)/2 - 2z + C, where C is a constant. Using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, we can see that ∂u/∂x = z - 2 and ∂v/∂y = 0. Therefore, we can set u = (z^2)/2 - 2z and v = 0, and F(z) = (z^2)/2 - 2z is an analytic function with f(z) = z-2.

For the second function, f(z) = ((z^4) +1)/(z^2), we can integrate to get F(z) = (z^3)/3 + z + C. Using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, we can see that ∂u/∂x = (z^3)/3 + 1 and ∂v/∂y = 0. Therefore, we can set u = (z^3)/3 + 1 and v = 0, and F(z) = (z^3)/3 + 1 is an analytic function with f(z) = ((z^4) +1)/(z^2).

For the third function, f(z) = sinzcosz, we can use the identities sinz = (e^(iz) - e^(-iz))/2i and cosz = (e^(iz) + e^(-iz))/2 to rewrite f(z) as f(z) = (e^(2iz) - 1)/4i. We can then integrate to get F(z) = -(e^(2iz))/8i - z/4 + C. Using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, we can see that ∂u/∂

Related to Find Analytic Function F: Cauchy-Riemann Eqns

What is an analytic function?

An analytic function is a type of mathematical function that is defined and differentiable at every point within its domain. This means that it has a well-defined slope or derivative at every point, making it a smooth and continuous function.

What are the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that describe the conditions for a function to be analytic. They are named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann and are used to determine if a function satisfies the necessary conditions for being analytic.

How do you use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to find an analytic function?

To use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to find an analytic function, you need to first express the function in the form of a complex function. Then, you can use the equations to determine if the function satisfies the conditions for being analytic. If it does, you can then use the equations to find the analytic function F.

What is the relationship between the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the concept of holomorphicity?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are necessary conditions for a function to be holomorphic, or analytic. This means that if a function satisfies these equations, it is also considered to be holomorphic. However, there are some functions that are holomorphic but do not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, so the equations are not sufficient for determining holomorphicity.

What applications do the Cauchy-Riemann equations have in science and engineering?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations have many applications in science and engineering, particularly in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as the flow of fluids and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. The equations help scientists and engineers understand and predict these phenomena, making them useful tools in many areas of research and development.