Find and calculate current in a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current i1 and i3 in a circuit with given values of EMF1, EMF2, R1, and R3. Kirchoff's circuit laws are mentioned and a voltage equation is set up to solve for the currents. The conversation ends with the solution of finding i1 and i2 and using them to calculate i3.
choco_moo

Homework Statement

Consider the following configuration.
2yy341e.gif

Given:
EMF1=6 V
EMF2 = 3 V
R1 = 600 Ohm
R3 = 100 Ohm

1. Calculate the current i1.
2. Calculate the current i3.

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchoff's circuit laws:
1. Sum of current into any node is zero.
2. Sum of voltages around any loop is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the potential at point A is 6 V because of the battery. I can't figure out how to calculate i1. I think I somehow have to use Kirchoff's rule, but I just don't know how. I tried to set up a voltage equation: EMF1 -i1R1 - i3R3 = 0. I don't know if that's right but it still has two unknowns. For i3, it seems like I have to know what i1 is to calculate it. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This voltage equation: EMF1 -i1R1 - i3R3 = 0. is correct.
Write down similar equation for EMF2. Put i3 = i1 + i2 and solve the equations to find i1 and i2.

How would I know which resistor i2 corresponds to?

EMF2 - (i1 + i2)R3 = 0.

Ah, that makes sense. So I set those two voltage equations equal to each other and solved for i1. Then I plugged i1 into the EMF2 voltage equation and solved for i2. I finally added i1 and i2 together to get i3. Thanks so much!

FAQ: Find and calculate current in a circuit

1. What is current in a circuit?

Current in a circuit refers to the flow of electric charge, typically measured in amperes (A). It is the rate at which electric charge passes through a specific point in a circuit.

2. How do you calculate current in a circuit?

Current is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) in the circuit. So, I = V/R.

3. How do you find the current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same at all points. So, to find the current in a series circuit, you can simply measure the current at any point in the circuit.

4. How do you find the current in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the current splits up and follows multiple paths. To find the total current in a parallel circuit, you need to add up the individual currents in each branch of the circuit.

5. What factors affect the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the number of components connected in the circuit. Changes in any of these factors will result in a change in the current.

Back