Find Angle Theta for Mass Revolving in Horizontal Circle

In summary, the problem involves a mass of 5.500 kg suspended from a string of length 1.570 m, revolving in a horizontal circle with a tangential speed of 2.874 m/s. The goal is to find the angle theta between the string and the vertical. Using Newton's second law, we can resolve the forces in the vertical and horizontal directions, taking into account the tension, weight, and centripetal force. This results in two equations that can be used to solve for theta.
Radarithm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A mass m = 5.500 kg is suspended from a string of length L = 1.570 m. It revolves in a horizontal circle (see Figure). The tangential speed of the mass is 2.874 m/s. What is the angle theta between the string and the vertical?
PIC OF DIAGRAM: http://gyazo.com/fc4a226a7d1a3af6c298b9782de0d7fe

Homework Equations

a = v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I am totally stumped. I don't want anyone to give me an answer; all I want is a hint so I can get started on this problem (I assume I'll have to use sin / cos somewhere in the formula). Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a free body diagram for the mass and resolve the forces in the radial and +z direction, +z pointing upwards.

I believe the Tension and weight forces cancel with respect to the y direction, that means there is a centripetal force towards the center of the circle in the x direction and since the mass is tilted along an angle theta, then the tension also has an x component. I guess I'm stuck again, maybe that's because its getting late; I'm not sleeping until I solve this problem :P

Radarithm said:
I believe the Tension and weight forces cancel with respect to the y direction, that means there is a centripetal force towards the center of the circle in the x direction and since the mass is tilted along an angle theta, then the tension also has an x component. I guess I'm stuck again, maybe that's because its getting late; I'm not sleeping until I solve this problem :P
What equations did you get for the two directions?

CAF123 said:
What equations did you get for the two directions?

Still didn't get any. I have no idea how to get θ.
Any tips? :confused:
I did get this though (and I'm pretty sure its wrong): Fnet = Tx + Fcentripetal cos θ × m(v2/r)

Radarithm said:
Still didn't get any. I have no idea how to get θ.
Any tips? :confused:
I did get this though (and I'm pretty sure its wrong): Fnet = Tx + Fcentripetal cos θ × m(v2/r)
It is dimensionally inconsistent, so just by looking at it, it must be incorrect.

There is a component of tension in the vertical direction. What is this in terms of θ? What other force acts in the vertical direction? Write Newtons second law for this direction.

There is also a component of tension in the horizontal direction. What is this in terms of θ? This force component is providing the centripetal force required for the mass to revolve. So you may equate this to the general expression for a centripetal force.

This will give you two equations. What you said was correct in #3, now you have to translate those ideas into equations.

FAQ: Find Angle Theta for Mass Revolving in Horizontal Circle

1. What is the formula for finding angle theta?

The formula for finding angle theta in a horizontal circle is: θ = arccos(v2/(rg)). Where v is the velocity of the mass, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you determine the velocity of the mass?

The velocity of the mass can be determined by dividing the circumference of the circle by the time it takes for the mass to complete one full revolution. This can also be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where r is the radius of the circle and T is the time for one full revolution.

3. Can angle theta be negative?

No, angle theta cannot be negative since it represents the angle between the velocity vector and the radius vector of the circle. It is always measured in the counterclockwise direction from the positive x-axis.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect angle theta?

The radius of the circle affects angle theta by changing the magnitude of the velocity vector. A larger radius results in a smaller velocity and therefore a larger angle theta, while a smaller radius results in a larger velocity and a smaller angle theta.

5. What are the units for angle theta?

Angle theta is measured in radians (rad) since it represents a ratio of the length of an arc to the radius of a circle. However, it can also be converted to degrees (°) by using the formula θ = (180°/π) * rad.

Back