Find Aphelion of an elliptical orbit given Perihelion and Orbital Period

In summary, the question asks for the distance from the Sun that Halley's comet will travel before starting its return journey. To solve this, we can use the equation T=2π√(a^3/(GM)) to find the semi-major axis, and then use the formula for angular momentum to determine the distance traveled at perihelion and aphelion. Additionally, we can use the conservation of energy for the system to determine the acceleration and energy at these points. Overall, finding the semi-major axis is the key to solving this problem.
Plebert

Homework Statement

Comet Halley approaches the Sun to within 0.570 AU, and
its orbital period is 75.6 years. (AU is the symbol for astronomical unit, where
1 AU = 1.50 x 1011 m is the mean Earth‐Sun distance.) How far from the Sun will
Halleyʹs comet travel before it starts its return journey?

Homework Equations

There are none given, though I believe some of these are probably relevant.

T=2π√(a^3/(GM))

which is the equation relation period to the semi-major axis and a gravitational constant

Ke(perihelion) + Kp(perihilion)=Ke(aphelion) + Kp(aphelion)

L= mvrsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is legitimately driving me insane. I feel like I am on the brink of solving it, but I just keep going around in circles.

Now, I understand that if I had the semi-major axis, to solve this would be relatively easy...but I don't.

Given this, I attempted to rearrange T=2π√(a^3/(GM))
to solve for a.
My calculus can be a bit dodgy but I came up with,
a is equal to the cube root of t^2/2π(GM)

or

a=3√(T2/2π(GM)

Angular momentum and total energy for the system are conserved and thus are equitable at the perihelion and aphelion.

At the aphelion sinθ=1
So angular momentum is mvr at angles 0 and 180, which both lie on the major axis.

at the perihelion gravitational potential energy = 0 and kinetic energy is 100%
Inversely, at the aphelion, the energy in the comet is 100% gravitational potential.
Which I guess means acceleration = 0.

I am really lost on this one guys.
please.
Please.
anything!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to try the rearrangement of the period function again. It looks to me like something went wrong in your extraction of a. Once you've got the major axis sorted the rest is straightforward.

Related to Find Aphelion of an elliptical orbit given Perihelion and Orbital Period

1. What is the definition of aphelion?

Aphelion is the point in an object's elliptical orbit around the sun where it is farthest away from the sun. It is the opposite of perihelion, which is the point closest to the sun.

2. How do you calculate the aphelion of an elliptical orbit?

To calculate the aphelion of an elliptical orbit, you will need the value for the perihelion (closest point to the sun) and the orbital period (time it takes to complete one orbit). The formula is: Aphelion = Perihelion / (1 - e), where e is the eccentricity of the orbit.

3. What is the eccentricity of an elliptical orbit?

Eccentricity is a measure of how elongated an elliptical orbit is. The value of eccentricity ranges from 0 (perfectly circular orbit) to 1 (highly elongated orbit).

4. What is the unit of measurement for aphelion?

The unit of measurement for aphelion is the same as that for perihelion, which is typically measured in astronomical units (AU) or kilometers (km).

5. Can the aphelion of an elliptical orbit change over time?

Yes, the aphelion of an elliptical orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational perturbations from other celestial bodies, and the effects of the sun's radiation on the orbit. However, these changes are usually small and occur over long periods of time.