Find Arc Length of Particle Moving on Curve

In summary, the conversation is about finding the length of a path traced by a particle on a curve based on a given equation and time interval. The formula for arc length is mentioned and the individual's attempt at finding the solution is discussed, with the expert noting that the derivative of the equation should not be simplified and the formula for arc length is incorrect.
Cassi

Homework Statement

Find the length of the path traced out by a particle moving on a curve according to the given equation during the time interval specified in each case.

The equation is r(t) = a(cos t + t sin t)i + a(sin t - t Cos t)j, 0</=t</=2pi, a>0

Homework Equations

Arc length = interval (r'(t)dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derviative of r(t) to be r'(t) = cost + tsint +atcost +sintt -tcost +atsint
Integrating this from 0->2pi I keep getting 0 because it is subtracting itself. The answer is supposed to be 2pi2a. What am I doing wrong?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
##\vec{r}(t)## is a vector as is its derivative. You can't simply erase the ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}##.

And the formula for arc length (integral, not interval) is incorrect. The integrand is ##|\vec r'(t)|##.

Related to Find Arc Length of Particle Moving on Curve

What is "Find Arc Length of Particle Moving on Curve"?

"Find Arc Length of Particle Moving on Curve" is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the distance traveled by a particle that is moving along a curved path. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the distance traveled by an object in a given time period.

What is the formula for finding the arc length of a particle on a curve?

The formula for finding the arc length of a particle on a curve is:

S = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx

where S is the arc length, dy/dx is the derivative of the curve, and dx is the infinitesimal change in the x-coordinate.

What are the steps for finding the arc length of a particle on a curve?

The steps for finding the arc length of a particle on a curve are:

1. Calculate the derivative of the curve to get dy/dx.
  2. Plug the derivative into the arc length formula: S = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx
  3. Integrate the formula with respect to x, using appropriate limits if needed.
  4. Simplify the integral and solve for S, which will give you the arc length of the particle on the curve.

What are some real-world applications of finding arc length of a particle on a curve?

Finding arc length of a particle on a curve has many real-world applications, including:

• Calculating the distance traveled by a car on a curved road.
  • Determining the length of a rollercoaster track.
  • Measuring the distance traveled by a satellite in orbit.
  • Calculating the trajectory of a projectile.

What are some common challenges when finding the arc length of a particle on a curve?

Some common challenges when finding the arc length of a particle on a curve include:

• Finding the derivative of the curve correctly.
  • Integrating the formula correctly, especially when dealing with complex curves.
  • Determining the appropriate limits for the integral.
  • Dealing with units, as the arc length is dependent on the units used for the x and y coordinates.