Find Area of Region Inside Cardioid & Outside Circle

• Thread starter qq545282501
  • Start date
In summary: The -5π/6 is not correct. -5π/6 + 2π = 7π/6 is at the same location as -5π/6 .You need a negative angle which terminates at the same place as 5π/6 .
qq545282501

Homework Statement

set up a double integral to find the area of the region inside the cardioid r=2-2sin θ and outside the circle r=1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

setting the two equations equal to each other, I got theta = pi/6 , 5pi/6

Area= ∫-5pi/6 to pi/6 ∫1 to 2-2sinθ rdrdθ

I am not sure if my bounds for the lower angle is correct or not.

any help is appreciated

here is the graph:
Snapshot.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

set up a double integral to find the area of the region inside the cardioid r=2-2sin θ and outside the circle r=1.

Homework Equations

any help is appreciated

here is the graph:
View attachment 91714
The -5π/6 is not correct.

-5π/6 + 2π = 7π/6 is at the same location as -5π/6 .

You need a negative angle which terminates at the same place as 5π/6 .

qq545282501 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your graph shows intersections for ##\theta = \pi/6## and ##\theta = 5\pi/6##. Above you have ##-5\pi/6##.
qq545282501 said:

any help is appreciated

here is the graph:
View attachment 91714

@qq545282501: Have you figured out the correct limit yet? What is your final answer?

LCKurtz said:
@qq545282501: Have you figured out the correct limit yet? What is your final answer?
I think @SammyS is correct, -7pi/6 should work, I think it as it goes from -7pi/6 to pi/6, counterclockwise. but i don't understand the need to add 2pi, since 7pi/6 is the actual angle if you go clockwise from 0.
I didnt understand what @Mark44 said, or he is misunderstanding my question.

what do you think?

qq545282501 said:
I think @SammyS is correct, -7pi/6 should work, I think it as it goes from -7pi/6 to pi/6, counterclockwise. but i don't understand the need to add 2pi, since 7pi/6 is the actual angle if you go clockwise from 0.

what do you think?
Yes, "it goes from -7pi/6 to pi/6, counterclockwise".

If you are referring to my adding 2π, I was merely pointing out that -5π/6 is co-terminal with 7π/6 and that is incorrect for a limit of integration.

Likes qq545282501
SammyS said:
Yes, "it goes from -7pi/6 to pi/6, counterclockwise".

If you are referring to my adding 2π, I was merely pointing out that -5π/6 is co-terminal with 7π/6 and that is incorrect for a limit of integration.
oh ! i see, anyway, thank you all ! big Love

qq545282501 said:
What I said was that in your drawing, you show one of the angles as being ##5\pi/6##, but in your integral (below), you are using ##-5\pi/6## as a limit of integration.
qq545282501 said:

Likes qq545282501

Related to Find Area of Region Inside Cardioid & Outside Circle

1. How do you find the area of a region inside a cardioid?

To find the area of a region inside a cardioid, you can use the formula A = (3/4)πr2, where r is the radius of the circle that forms the cardioid. This formula is derived from the area of a circle, A = πr2, and the fact that a cardioid is a quarter of a circle with a radius that is three times smaller than the original circle.

2. What is a cardioid and how is it related to a circle?

A cardioid is a geometric shape that is formed by tracing a point on a circle as it rolls around another fixed circle. The name comes from the Greek word "kardia," meaning heart, as the shape resembles a heart. A cardioid is related to a circle because it is a special type of curve that is derived from a circle.

3. Can the area of a region inside a cardioid be greater than the area of the circle it is inscribed in?

No, the area of a region inside a cardioid cannot be greater than the area of the circle it is inscribed in. This is because the cardioid is always a quarter of the circle's area, and the circle has the largest possible area for a given radius.

4. How do you find the area of a region outside a circle but inside a cardioid?

To find the area of a region outside a circle but inside a cardioid, you can use the formula A = πr2 - (3/4)πr2, where r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived by subtracting the area of the cardioid from the area of the circle, as the region outside the circle is the remaining area.

5. What are the real-world applications of finding the area of a region inside a cardioid and outside a circle?

The concept of finding the area of a region inside a cardioid and outside a circle has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in engineering to calculate the area of a circular gear and the space between two gears. It is also used in physics to determine the area of a projectile's trajectory and the movement of planets around the sun. In architecture, this concept can be applied to the design of circular structures such as domes and arches.