Find beats formula using imaginary parts

In summary: This is because when using complex exponential notation the imaginary part is simply summed with the real part. So, if you were to use the imaginary part of e^{j\theta} in place of the real part, you would get __________. In summary, the equation for the sum would look like this: \ sin(\omega_{1}t)+\sin(\omega_{2}t) = e^{j\omega_{1}t}+e^{j\omega_{2}t
mbigras

Homework Statement

Using the imaginary parts

When using complex representation, it is customary to use the real parts. Instead use the imaginary part of [itex]e^{j\theta}[/itex] to calculate an expression for the sum:
[tex]\sin(\omega t) + \sin((\omega + \Delta \omega)t)[/tex]

Remember, it should come out to be the beats formula.

Homework Equations

[tex]
e^{j\theta} = \cos(\theta) + j\sin(\theta)\\
\omega_{beat} = |\omega_{1}-\omega_{2}|\\
cos(\theta) = Re[e^{j\theta}]\\
sin(\theta) = Im[e^{j\theta}]
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding what the question is asking for. I tried rewriting the above equation using the complex exponential with the hope to take the imaginary part later but that hasn't seemed to bring me closer to the "beat formula". I'm also not sure what it means "it should come out to be the beats formula"
[tex]
\sin(\omega t) + \sin((\omega+\Delta \omega)t)\\
\sin(\omega_{1}) + \sin(\omega_{2}t)\\
e^{j\omega_{1}t} + e^{j\omega_{2}t}\\
[/tex]

Using some trig I get an expression for the sum that does have look like it will exhibit beating behavior when the frequencies are close, but this wasn't using the complex exponential function.

[tex]
\sin(\alpha) + \sin(\beta) = 2 \sin\left(\frac{\alpha+\beta}{2}\right)\cos\left(\frac{\alpha-\beta}{2}\right)\\
\sin(\omega_{1}t)+\sin(\omega_{2}t)= 2\sin\left(\frac{\omega_{1}+\omega{2}}{2}t\right)\cos\left(\frac{\omega_{1}-\omega_{2}}{2}t\right)
[/tex]

The biggest question I'd like to ask is: How do you use the imaginary part of [itex]e^{j\theta}[/itex] to calculate an expression for the sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider ## e^{ia} e^{ib} ##.

[tex]
e^{j\alpha}e^{j\beta} = e^{j(\alpha+\beta)}
[/tex]

but I don't see how this is helps me to calculate an expression. With trig I use a trig identity and then I calculate an expression. With the imaginary part of [itex]e^{j\theta}[/itex] I use __________ or do _________ and calculate an expression. But right now I don't see what goes in those blanks.

$$ e^{ia} e^{ib} = (\cos a + i \sin b) \times ... $$

Using Euler's equation I was able to go about it a way. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable answer, but it does seem to meet the requirements of using the imaginary part of [itex]e^{j\theta}[/itex] and calculating an expression.

[tex]
\sin(\omega_{1}t)+\sin(\omega_{2}t) = e^{j\omega_{1}t}+e^{j\omega_{2}t}\\
= \cos(\omega_{1}t)+cos(\omega_{2}t) + j(\sin(\omega_{1}t)+sin(\omega_{2}t))\\
\\
Im[e^{j\omega_{1}t}+e^{j\omega_{2}t}] = \sin(\omega_{1}t)+sin(\omega_{2}t)\\
= 2\sin\left(\frac{\omega_{1}+\omega_{2}}{2}t\right) \cos\left(\frac{\omega_{1}-\omega_{2}}{2}t\right)
[/tex]

I do not see how that uses the complex representation to prove the formula. Consider the hint in #4.

[tex]
e^{ja}e^{jb} = (\cos(a) + j\sin(a))(\cos(b)+j\sin(b))\\
= [\cos(a)\cos(b) - \sin(a)\sin(b)] + j[\cos(a)\sin(b)+\sin(a)\cos(b)]
[/tex]
Thank you for the hint. Will you provide another hint? Because I don't see how this moves me closer to an expression for
[tex]
\sin(a) + \sin(b)
[/tex]

Another hint is $$ e^{ia} e^{ib} = e^{i(a + b)} $$

Related to Find beats formula using imaginary parts

1. What is the formula for finding beats using imaginary parts?

The formula for finding beats using imaginary parts is Beat Frequency = (Frequency of first wave) - (Frequency of second wave). This formula is used when two waves with slightly different frequencies overlap and create a pulsating sound.

2. How do imaginary parts contribute to finding beats?

Imaginary parts play a crucial role in finding beats because they represent the phase difference between two waves. When two waves with slightly different frequencies overlap, their imaginary parts add or subtract from each other, creating a beat frequency.

3. Can the beats formula be used for any two waves?

Yes, the beats formula can be used for any two waves that have slightly different frequencies. It does not matter what type of waves they are, as long as they have a frequency difference.

4. How is the beat frequency affected by the frequencies of the two waves?

The beat frequency is directly affected by the frequencies of the two waves. A larger frequency difference between the two waves will result in a higher beat frequency, and a smaller frequency difference will result in a lower beat frequency.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the beats formula using imaginary parts?

Yes, the beats formula using imaginary parts is commonly used in music production and sound engineering. It is also used in physics experiments to study the behavior of waves and interference. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics.