Find Center of Gravity of 3D Objects to Balance in Water

In summary, the center of gravity of a 3-D object is determined by the balance of the body in water, and the boat's shape. To keep the object stable, turning depends on the shape of the boat and not the center of gravity.
jaikvk
To find the center of gravity of a 3-D object? The problem is to balance a body in water so that it moves in a straight line when propelled. As the weight distribution in the body is not even it is tilted to one side and when propelled tuns in the direction of tilt. How can the body be made to move in a straight line?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well to find the center of gravity you must do some calculus and find the summation of all the point particls in the object and their gravitys, divided by the mass... i think. well once you find the postions, any force acting in the direction of the center of gravity will be like acting on all of the point particles at once, therefore making it go in a straight line

To find the center of gravity you would calculate
[tex]
\vec{x}_c=\frac{\iiint \vec{x}\mathrm{d}m}{M}
[/tex]

However it might not be relevant in the way you imagine. The shape of the object is very important for a stable position. I have an article that describes how the moment of pitch and rolling should behave for the thing to keep a stable position. Let me know if you'd like to read the article and the involved maths.

Moreover, turning one direction doesn't depend on the center of gravity either. Only the shape of the boat determines if it will turn. Of course if the center of gravity is too high, then the boat tilts, changes the shape of the part submersed in water and thus turns.

Basically if you want your boat to float I assume you should have a symmetrical boat and lower the center of gravity. By how much to lower is hard to tell anyway.

Gerenuk said:
To find the center of gravity you would calculate
[tex]
\vec{x}_c=\frac{\iiint \vec{x}\mathrm{d}m}{M}
[/tex]

However it might not be relevant in the way you imagine. The shape of the object is very important for a stable position. I have an article that describes how the moment of pitch and rolling should behave for the thing to keep a stable position. Let me know if you'd like to read the article and the involved maths.

Moreover, turning one direction doesn't depend on the center of gravity either. Only the shape of the boat determines if it will turn. Of course if the center of gravity is too high, then the boat tilts, changes the shape of the part submersed in water and thus turns.

Basically if you want your boat to float I assume you should have a symmetrical boat and lower the center of gravity. By how much to lower is hard to tell anyway.

Could you please send me the article

sent you a PM

Are you sure it is not the gyro effect of the propeller that is tilting the boat and causing it to turn? It may already be perfectly balanced?

FAQ: Find Center of Gravity of 3D Objects to Balance in Water

1. How do you determine the center of gravity of a 3D object?

The center of gravity of a 3D object can be determined by finding the point at which the object will balance perfectly in any direction. This can be done by suspending the object from various points and finding the point where the object remains level.

2. Why is finding the center of gravity important for balancing objects in water?

Finding the center of gravity is important for balancing objects in water because it helps to distribute the weight of the object evenly. This prevents the object from tipping over or sinking in the water.

3. What factors affect the center of gravity of a 3D object?

The center of gravity of a 3D object is affected by the shape, size, and weight distribution of the object. Objects with a wider base and lower center of mass will have a more stable center of gravity.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for finding the center of gravity of a 3D object?

Yes, the center of gravity of a 3D object can be calculated using the formula: x̄ = (Σmi xi) / (Σmi), where x̄ is the x-coordinate of the center of gravity, mi is the mass of each component, and xi is the x-coordinate of each component. This formula can be applied to the y and z coordinates as well to find the complete center of gravity.

5. How can the center of gravity of a 3D object be used to balance it in water?

The center of gravity of a 3D object can be used to balance it in water by ensuring that the object's center of gravity is directly above the point of support. This will allow the object to remain stable and prevent it from tipping over or sinking in the water.