Find center of mass and coordinates using double integrals?

In summary, we are trying to find the mass and center of mass of a lamina that occupies the region D and has a given density function ρ. D is bounded by the parabolas y = x^2 and x = y^2, and the density function is ρ(x, y) = 23√x. We use the equations m = \int\int_{D} ρ(x, y) dA, x-bar = \frac{1}{m}\int\int_{D} x*ρ(x, y) dA, and y-bar = \frac{1}{m}\int\int_{D} y*ρ(x, y) dA to find the mass and
monnapomona

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D and has the given density function ρ.
D is bounded by the parabolas y = x^2 and x = y^2; ρ(x, y) = 23√x

Homework Equations

m = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] ρ(x, y) dA
x-bar = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] x*ρ(x, y) dA
y-bar = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] y*ρ(x, y) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated 23√x using order dydx with limits: x^2 ≤ y ≤ √x and 0 ≤ x ≤ 1.
m = 69/14.

The problem I'm having is with the coordinates. I first got (x-bar,y-bar) as (14/62, 28/1265) but that was wrong in my online assignment. I used the same limits of integration and the above equations to find x-bar and y-bar. I don't know where I'm going wrong with the coordinates... Am I suppose to be using different limits?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
monnapomona said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D and has the given density function ρ.
D is bounded by the parabolas y = x^2 and x = y^2; ρ(x, y) = 23

Homework Equations

m = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] ρ(x, y) dA
x-bar = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] x*ρ(x, y) dA
y-bar = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] y*ρ(x, y) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrated 23√x using order dydx with limits: x^2 ≤ y ≤ √x and 0 ≤ x ≤ 1.
m = 69/14.

The problem I'm having is with the coordinates. I first got (x-bar,y-bar) as (14/62, 28/1265) but that was wrong in my online assignment. I used the same limits of integration and the above equations to find x-bar and y-bar. I don't know where I'm going wrong with the coordinates... Am I suppose to be using different limits?

If you are trying to compute m you just integrate 23. Why are you integrating sqrt(x) as well? m isn't 69/14. Can you spell out what you are doing in a little more detail?

Your equations for x-bar and y-bar are incorrect. What you have are the expressions for the moments of D about the x and y axes. In order to find x-bar and y-bar, you must divide the moment values by the mass of the region D.

SteamKing said:
Your equations for x-bar and y-bar are incorrect. What you have are the expressions for the moments of D about the x and y axes. In order to find x-bar and y-bar, you must divide the moment values by the mass of the region D.

Oh my mistake, I used:

y-bar = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] y*ρ(x, y) dA
x-bar = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] x*ρ(x, y) dA

to find the coordinates.

monnapomona said:
Oh my mistake, I used:

y-bar = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] y*ρ(x, y) dA
x-bar = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] x*ρ(x, y) dA

to find the coordinates.
And in your case, [itex]\rho(x,y)= 23[/itex], a constant. So
[tex]\overline{x}= \frac{23}{m}\int\int x dxdy[/tex]
[tex]\overline{y}= \frac{23}{m}\int\int y dxdy[/tex]
with
[tex]m= 23\int\int dxdy[/tex]

You are given "D is bounded by the parabolas y = x^2 and x = y^2". Those, of course, intersect at x= 0 and at x= 1. What will the limits of integration be?

Dick said:
If you are trying to compute m you just integrate 23. Why are you integrating sqrt(x) as well? m isn't 69/14. Can you spell out what you are doing in a little more detail?

Sorry for the confusion, the question was asking to integrate 23√x. I edited my first post.

Related to Find center of mass and coordinates using double integrals?

1. What is the concept of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point that represents the average location of the mass of an object or system. It takes into account the distribution of mass within the object or system.

2. How is the center of mass calculated using double integrals?

The center of mass can be calculated using double integrals by dividing the object or system into infinitesimal small elements and integrating the mass of each element with respect to its distance from the chosen reference point. This is represented by the equation: x̄ = ∫∫xρ(x,y) dA / ∫∫ρ(x,y) dA, where x̄ is the x-coordinate of the center of mass, ρ(x,y) is the density function, and dA is the infinitesimal area element.

3. What are the benefits of using double integrals to find the center of mass?

Double integrals allow for a more accurate determination of the center of mass because they take into account the varying density of an object or system. They also allow for the calculation of the coordinates of the center of mass, rather than just the location.

4. Can double integrals be used for any shape or object?

Yes, double integrals can be used to find the center of mass of any shape or object, as long as its mass is evenly distributed and the density function is known.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the center of mass using double integrals?

Yes, the concept of center of mass and the use of double integrals to calculate it have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it is used to calculate the stability of structures, to determine the motion of objects in space, and to analyze the distribution of mass in biological systems.