Find Center of Mass of Thin Plate in Region Bounded by y-Axis, x=y-y^3

It's the simplest way to do it.In summary, to find the center of mass of a thin plate with constant density in a given region bounded by the y-axis, x=y-y^3, and 0<=y<=1, one can switch the x and y coordinates and use the formula for finding the center of mass of a region bounded by the x-axis, y=x-x^3. After finding the center of mass using this formula, the x and y coordinates should be switched back to correspond with the original region. Alternatively, one can use double integrals if they have been covered in the course.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

find the center of mass of a thin plate with constant density in the given region.
region bounded by y-axis, x=y-y^3 ; 0<=y<=1

Homework Equations

x(bar) = (integral)(a to b) α(x) * x * (f(x) - g(x))
----------------------------------
(integral)(a to b) α(x) * (f(x) - g(x))y(bar) = (integral)(a to b) (1/2) α(x) * x * (f(x)^2 - g(x)^2)
----------------------------------
(integral)(a to b) α(x) * (f(x) - g(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

how do i solve this since it is f(y) and not f(x). would i replace the "X" in x(bar) integral with a "y"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "x= y= y^3" is "shorthand" (and not very good if you ask me) for "x= y" and x= y^3. Solve the latter for y: y= x^(1/3).

are the limits of integration from 0 to 1 still?

HallsofIvy said:
Your "x= y= y^3" is "shorthand" (and not very good if you ask me) for "x= y" and x= y^3. Solve the latter for y: y= x^(1/3).

update: it is x=y-y^3

sorry for the misunderstanding.

whatlifeforme said:
update: it is x=y-y^3

sorry for the misunderstanding.

Then you had the start of a good idea. Take the function y=x-x^3 bounded by the x-axis for 0<=x<=1. It looks the same as your original region, just has x and y reversed. So work out it's center of mass then exchange x and y again.

not getting the right answer.

made a mistake on one of the integrals. now I'm getting the correct answers.
but I'm getting the two backwards the X value of center of mass is the y value for the center of mass on the answer key.

whatlifeforme said:
made a mistake on one of the integrals. now I'm getting the correct answers.
but I'm getting the two backwards the X value of center of mass is the y value for the center of mass on the answer key.

Without seeing what you are doing, it's hard to say. But if you are getting say, (1/2,1/3) for y=x-x^3, then the answer for x=y-y^3 should be (1/3,1/2). You need to interchange the center of mass coordinates to go from one to the other.

Dick said:
Without seeing what you are doing, it's hard to say. But if you are getting say, (1/2,1/3) for y=x-x^3, then the answer for x=y-y^3 should be (1/3,1/2). You need to interchange the center of mass coordinates to go from one to the other.

what do you mean?

whatlifeforme said:
what do you mean?

I mean that the regions bounded by x=y-y^3 and y=x-x^3 don't have the same center of mass but there is a simple relation between them. What did you get for the center of mass of y=x-x^3?

i got (8/15, 16/105) whereas the answer is (16/105, 8/15).

should i just note that whenever solving a center of mass with x= to switch the values at the end?

whatlifeforme said:
i got (8/15, 16/105) whereas the answer is (16/105, 8/15).

should i just note that whenever solving a center of mass with x= to switch the values at the end?

You could make a note of it, but it would better if you clearly understood why. As I've said, switching x and y to turn x=y-y^3 into y=x-x^3 is going to switch the x and y coordinates of the center of mass. You need to switch them back.

how would i solve this where it would not involve switching the coordinates?

whatlifeforme said:
how would i solve this where it would not involve switching the coordinates?

You can't solve x=y-y^3 to get y as a function of x in any useful way. So you can't use your formulas directly. Either get similar formulas for the case where you have x expressed as a function of y or set up the center of mass formulas as double integrals, if you've covered that.

we haven't covered double integrals.

whatlifeforme said:
we haven't covered double integrals.

Then stick with the switching approach.

Related to Find Center of Mass of Thin Plate in Region Bounded by y-Axis, x=y-y^3

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the mass of the object is evenly distributed in all directions, and the object will be balanced at this point.

2. How is the center of mass of a thin plate in a bounded region calculated?

The center of mass of a thin plate in a bounded region can be calculated using the formula x = (1/A) ∫xρ(x,y)dA and y = (1/A) ∫yρ(x,y)dA, where A is the area of the region and ρ(x,y) is the mass density at point (x,y).

3. What does the region bounded by the y-axis, x=y-y^3 look like?

The region bounded by the y-axis, x=y-y^3 is a parabolic shape that opens towards the positive x-axis, with the y-axis as its axis of symmetry.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of the bounded region?

No, the center of mass of a thin plate in a bounded region is always located within the region itself.

5. How is the center of mass affected if the bounded region is rotated or translated?

The position of the center of mass is not affected by rotations or translations of the bounded region, as long as the mass and density distribution remain the same.