Find centroid two-dimensional region

• Thread starter octowilli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the problem was to find the centroid of the region bounded by the curves y = x^3, y = x + 10, and y = 0. Using the formula \bar x = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a yf(y) dy and \bar y = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a \frac{1}{2}(f(y))^2 dy, the centroid was found to be at coordinates \left(\frac{584}{135},\frac{496}{189}\right), with an area of 36.
octowilli

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the region bounded by the given curves.

[tex]y = x^3[/tex][tex]x + y = 10[/tex][tex]y = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\bar x = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a xf(x) dx[/tex][tex]\bar y = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a \frac{1}{2}(f(x))^2 dx[/tex]
Where A is the area of the region containing the centroid.

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was find the intersection of the curves [tex]x^3 = 10-x \Rightarrow x = 2 \Rightarrow P(2,8)[/tex]
Then I put things in terms of y to integrate to find the area A of the region.[tex]y = x^3 \Rightarrow x = \sqrt[3] y[/tex][tex]x + y = 10 \Rightarrow x = 10 - y[/tex][tex]A = \int^8_0 ((10-y)-(\sqrt[3] y)) dy = 36[/tex]
So [tex]\bar x = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a yf(y) dy = \frac{1}{36}\int^8_0 y((10-y)-(\sqrt[3] y))dy = \frac{496}{189} \approx 2.63[/tex][tex]\bar y = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a \frac{1}{2}(f(y))^2 dy = \frac{1}{36}\int^8_0 \frac{1}{2}((10-y)^2-(\sqrt[3] y)^2)dy = \frac{584}{135} \approx 4.33[/tex]
So the centroid is at [tex]\left(\frac{496}{189},\frac{584}{135}\right)[/tex]
What I'm getting here isn't correct. Thanks for commenting!

Physics news on Phys.org
octowilli said:

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the region bounded by the given curves.

[tex]y = x^3[/tex][tex]x + y = 10[/tex][tex]y = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\bar x = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a xf(x) dx[/tex][tex]\bar y = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a \frac{1}{2}(f(x))^2 dx[/tex]
Where A is the area of the region containing the centroid.

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was find the intersection of the curves [tex]x^3 = 10-x \Rightarrow x = 2 \Rightarrow P(2,8)[/tex]
Then I put things in terms of y to integrate to find the area A of the region.[tex]y = x^3 \Rightarrow x = \sqrt[3] y[/tex][tex]x + y = 10 \Rightarrow x = 10 - y[/tex][tex]A = \int^8_0 ((10-y)-(\sqrt[3] y)) dy = 36[/tex]
This is completely wrong. If you look at a graph of x+y= 10 and [itex]y= x^3[/itex], then you will see that, for each y, x ranges from 0 on the left to
1)[itex] y^{1/3}[/itex] for y between 0 and 8 and
2) [itex]10 - y[/itex] for y between 8 and 10.
The area is given by
[tex]\int_{y= 0}^8 y^{1/3}dy+ \int_{y= 8}^{10} (10- y) dy[/tex].

Much simpler, and what most people would do, is to integrate with respect to x. For each x, between 0 and 2, y ranges from [itex]x^3[/itex] to [itex]10- x[/itex] so the area would be
[tex]\int_{x=0}^2(10- x- x^3) dx[/tex]

So [tex]\bar x = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a yf(y) dy = \frac{1}{36}\int^8_0 y((10-y)-(\sqrt[3] y))dy = \frac{496}{189} \approx 2.63[/tex][tex]\bar y = \frac{1}{A}\int^b_a \frac{1}{2}(f(y))^2 dy = \frac{1}{36}\int^8_0 \frac{1}{2}((10-y)^2-(\sqrt[3] y)^2)dy = \frac{584}{135} \approx 4.33[/tex]
So the centroid is at [tex]\left(\frac{496}{189},\frac{584}{135}\right)[/tex]
What I'm getting here isn't correct. Thanks for commenting!

Thank you for responding, HallsofIvy!

I think I'm still confused. I thought this was the region I needed to find the centroid of:

wh9tq.png

Which has an area [tex]A = \int^2_0 x^3 dx + \int^{10}_2 (10-x) dx = 36 [/tex]

Oh, blast! I misead "y= 0" as "x= 0".

I had another look and figured it out. I guess when I did this in terms of y my x and y coordinates got flipped. The values of the integral are correct, but the coordinates are backwards, so the centroid is at[tex]\left(\frac{584}{135},\frac{496}{189}\right)[/tex]

Related to Find centroid two-dimensional region

1. What is the definition of centroid in a two-dimensional region?

The centroid of a two-dimensional region is the point at which the geometric center of the region is located. It is often referred to as the "center of mass" or "center of gravity" of the region.

2. How do you find the centroid of a two-dimensional region?

To find the centroid of a two-dimensional region, you can use the formula (x̄, ȳ) = (∫xρ(x)dx, ∫yρ(y)dy) / (∫ρ(x)dx, ∫ρ(y)dy), where x̄ and ȳ represent the x-coordinate and y-coordinate of the centroid, ρ(x) and ρ(y) represent the density functions in the x and y directions, and the integrals are taken over the region. Alternatively, you can also use the method of dividing the region into smaller subregions and calculating the centroid of each subregion.

3. What is the significance of finding the centroid of a two-dimensional region?

The centroid is an important concept in mathematics and physics as it helps determine the balance point or center of mass of a given region. It is also used in engineering and architecture to determine the stability and strength of structures.

4. Can the centroid be outside of the two-dimensional region?

Yes, it is possible for the centroid to be located outside of the two-dimensional region. This can happen when the region is irregularly shaped or has holes, causing the center of mass to be shifted outside of the region.

5. How is the centroid of a two-dimensional region related to the first moments of the region?

The centroid is closely related to the first moments of the region, which are calculated by multiplying the area of each subregion by its distance from a reference point. The centroid is the point at which the first moments in both the x and y directions are equal, making it a useful tool for calculating the first moments and center of mass of a region.

Back