Find change in electric potential energy

In summary, the problem involves finding the change in electric potential energy of a +5.3 µC charge as it moves in a uniform electric field of magnitude 4.1 ✕ 10^5 N/C in the positive x-direction. The formula to use is ∆V = -E*∆s, where E is the electric field and ∆s is the displacement of the charge. The answers for (a), (b), and (c) are different due to the different displacements.
sunset117

Homework Statement

A uniform electric field of magnitude 4.1 ✕ 10^5 N/C points in the positive x-direction. Find the change in electric potential energy of a +5.3 µC charge as it moves from the origin to each of the points given below.
(a) (0, 6.9 m)
__ J

(b) (6.9 m, 0)
__J

(c) (6.9 m, 6.9 m)
__J

Homework Equations

I'm confused by the phrase electric potential energy. I was thinking I should use V= k|q|/r^2 but was then confused. Electric potential is V=kq/r so should I maybe just do that for an initial and final on each? Some research made it sound like I would use ( ∆V = -E*∆s ). Can someone help me as to which direction I should go?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct direction is towards the use of formula ##\Delta V=-E\Delta s## because the other formula you mention (V=Kq/r) is for the potential energy of the charge due to the field that charge itself creates . But here we are asked for the potential energy due to the external electric field.

However you need to be careful on the use of ##\Delta V=-E\Delta s## because it is in an oversimplified form. The correct form of the formula has dot product and not simple scalar product (and also the use of integral in front of the product).

To give an additional tip, the answer for b) and c) is the same but the answer for a) is different.

Related to Find change in electric potential energy

What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that is stored in an object due to its position or configuration in an electric field.

How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the electric potential difference.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential energy?

The unit of measurement for electric potential energy is Joules (J).

How does electric potential energy change when an object moves in an electric field?

When an object moves in an electric field, its electric potential energy may change due to the change in its position or the change in the strength of the electric field.

What are some real-life applications of electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is used in various technologies such as batteries, capacitors, and power plants. It is also used in household appliances and electronic devices.