Find Complex Conjugate of Wave Function in QM Mechanics Book

In summary, we discussed the wave function psi(x) and its complex conjugate, as well as the average of the square of momentum and how it relates to the operator p. We also touched on the use of hats to distinguish operators from numbers in quantum mechanics.
CyberShot
I saw in a QM mechanics book the following wave function:

psi(x) = A*[1 - e^(ikx)]

what is the complex conjugate of this wave function?

isnt it just psi*(x) = A*[1 - e^(-ikx)]

but when you multiply psi(x) by psi*(x) shouldn't you get a real value?

How come I don't?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check again. You do get a real function. Remember Euler's identity. After you multiply everything out, you can rewrite the remaining exponentials in terms of trig functions:

[tex](1-e^{ikx})(1-e^{-ikx})=1-(e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx})+ e^{ikx}e^{-ikx}=2-2cos(kx)[/tex]

G01 said:
Check again. You do get a real function. Remember Euler's identity. After you multiply everything out, you can rewrite the remaining exponentials in terms of trig functions:

[tex](1-e^{ikx})(1-e^{-ikx})=1-(e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx})+ e^{ikx}e^{-ikx}=2-2cos(kx)[/tex]

Of course!

Thanks, and sorry for being an idiot. -_-

I have another question.

What would the average of the square of the momentum look like?

I know that <p> = integral[ psi*(x) (hbar/i) d/dx (psi(x)) ] dx

how would you determine <p^2> ?

is it just

<p^2> = integral[ psi*(x) (hbar/i) second derivative (psi(x)) ] dx

Almost. In general, for some operator A,

[tex]<A> = \int \psi^* A \psi dx[/tex]

and [tex]p = -i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

so [tex]p^2 = (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx})(-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}) = -\hbar^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

The_Duck said:
Almost. In general, for some operator A,

[tex]<A> = \int \psi^* A \psi dx[/tex]

and [tex]p = -i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

so [tex]p^2 = (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx})(-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}) = -\hbar^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

Why isn't it just

[tex]p^2 = (p)(p) = (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx})(-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}) = (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx})^2 [/tex]

?

Edit: Hmm, is it because p is not an ordinary variable in that its an operator?

if so, how come [tex]< x^2 > = x \\int \\ psi^* \\psi dx[/tex]

is [tex]x[/tex] not an operator?

Last edited:
CyberShot said:
Why isn't it just

[tex]p^2 = (p)(p) = (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx})(-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}) = (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx})^2 [/tex]

?

Edit: Hmm, is it because p is not an ordinary variable in that its an operator?

Your form is equivalent to my form; I have simply distributed the exponent. Indeed p is an operator and not a number: p^2 is the operator "apply p twice" (and the action of p is to differentiate the wave function and multiply by -i*h-bar). Often one puts hats on operators to distinguish them from numbers.

CyberShot said:
if so, how come [tex]< x^2 > = x \\int \\ psi^* \\psi dx[/tex]

is [tex]x[/tex] not an operator?

Your tex seems a bit messed up; the correct equation is

[tex]<x^2> = \int \psi^* x^2 \psi dx[/tex]

FAQ: Find Complex Conjugate of Wave Function in QM Mechanics Book

1. What is a complex conjugate in quantum mechanics?

A complex conjugate in quantum mechanics refers to the mathematical operation of taking the complex conjugate of a wave function. This involves changing the sign of the imaginary component of the wave function while leaving the real component unchanged. It is a common operation in quantum mechanics calculations and is necessary for finding the probability amplitudes of a particle's position or momentum.

2. How do you find the complex conjugate of a wave function?

To find the complex conjugate of a wave function, you simply need to change the sign of the imaginary component of the function while leaving the real component unchanged. This can be done by taking the complex conjugate of each term in the function or using the complex conjugate operator. It is important to note that the complex conjugate of a function will have the same magnitude but opposite phase compared to the original function.

3. Why is finding the complex conjugate important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the complex conjugate is important because it allows us to calculate the probability amplitudes of a particle's position or momentum. These probability amplitudes are necessary for predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Additionally, the complex conjugate is used in many other quantum mechanics calculations and is an essential concept in the field.

4. What is the difference between a complex conjugate and a conjugate transpose?

A complex conjugate and a conjugate transpose are two different operations. The complex conjugate involves changing the sign of the imaginary component of a complex number or function, while the conjugate transpose involves taking the transpose of a matrix and then taking the complex conjugate of each element. In quantum mechanics, the complex conjugate is more commonly used to find the probability amplitudes of a particle's position or momentum.

5. Can the complex conjugate of a wave function be a complex number?

Yes, the complex conjugate of a wave function can be a complex number. In fact, the complex conjugate of a complex number is always a complex number. This is because the complex conjugate operation only changes the sign of the imaginary component, but it does not affect the real component. So, if a wave function has a complex number as its imaginary component, its complex conjugate will also have a complex number as its imaginary component.