Find current in circuit (DC RL circuit with switch)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for current in a series RL circuit where the switch is initially at 0, then moved to 1 at t=0 seconds and finally to 2 after 1 time constant. The general equations assume t starts at zero, so to shift the time base to account for the switch moving at t=1 second, the answer uses t-1 instead of t in the equation. This shift is similar to a lag network.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

Initially switch is at 0.
At t = 0 seconds switch is put at 1.
After 1 time constant switch is put at 2.
Find equation for current for t > 2[/B]
upload_2017-2-2_17-49-18.png

Homework Equations

current through inductor tries to remain constant.
i(t) through inductor in series RL circuit is i(t) = [ i(initial) - i(final) ] e(-R*t/L + i(final)

The Attempt at a Solution

At t < 0 I(t) is 0.
For t > 0 switch is in position 1.
i(t = 0+ ) = i(t = 0- ) = 0.
for t much more than 0, the inductor will be short circuit and i will be 100 volts / 1 ohm = 100 A.

so equation for t > 0 = (initial current - final current) e-R*t/L + final current
= (0 - 100)e(-1 * t / 1 + 100 = 100 (1 - e(-t))

Now at t = 1 time constant switch is at position 2.
time constant = L/R = 1/1 = 1 second.
At t = 1 second, i(t) = 100 (1 - e-1)
= 63A

Now at t = 1 second switch is at position 2.
So initial current is same as earlier which is 63A.
Final current is 50A.
So we get answer as [ initial - final ] e(-t) + final
which is (63 - 50 ) e-t + 50
= 50 + 13e(-t)

But in answer they've given
50 + 13e-(t-1)

Where did the -1 part come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaus tail said:
Where did the -1 part come from?
Presumably they wish to keep the zero time as the instant the switch moved from position 0 to position 1. On that basis, what time does the switch move to position 2?

Likes jaus tail
Switch moves to position 2 at 1 second.

jaus tail said:
Switch moves to position 2 at 1 second.
Correct. And when you use the general expressions to write the current for an LR circuit, what is the assumed starting time?

That's mostly written in question. Like we have to find current across L at t = 0+.
If question says. 'find current just after switch is closed' we write i(t+) = i(t-)

jaus tail said:
That's mostly written in question. Like we have to find current across L at t = 0+.
If question says. 'find current just after switch is closed' we write i(t+) = i(t-)
Forget the problem for a moment. What do the general equations assume for the time start?

Zero I guess... But why should answer have t - 1?
The whole system starts at same time of 0 second.

jaus tail said:
Zero I guess... But why should answer have t - 1?
The whole system starts at same time of 0 second.
The general equations assume t starts at zero for the curve they describe. When you use them to describe a curve at some other starting time, this does not change the t=0 assumption for the math. It's up to YOU to shift YOUR time base so that the math "thinks" they start at zero as they were designed to do.

Ok, so the switch at 2 is at t = 1 seconds, so that means that the 50 V circuit is activated at t = 1 second.
However my equations of
i (t) = ( initial - final ) e-R*T/L start from T = 0 seconds.

But since t = 1(time when 50V is activated) , we have t - 1 = 0 and this = T(from equation above).
So we replace T by t - 1.
Like the origin is shifted ahead. Just like lag network.

Yes, that's right. You've probably dealt with similar situations when writing time shifted versions of the unit step or unit impulse functions.

Likes jaus tail
yes I've solved questions with expressions u(t-1) or delta (t + 1) but didn't thought how it'd be in words. Thanks for the explanation.

Related to Find current in circuit (DC RL circuit with switch)

1. How do I calculate the current in a DC RL circuit with a switch?

The formula for calculating the current in a DC RL circuit with a switch is I = (V/R)(1-e^(-Rt/L)), where I is the current, V is the voltage, R is the resistance, t is the time, and L is the inductance. This formula takes into account the effects of resistance and inductance on the flow of current in the circuit.

2. What is the role of the switch in a DC RL circuit?

The switch in a DC RL circuit controls the flow of current by either allowing or blocking the flow of electrons. When the switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows the current to flow. When the switch is open, the circuit is broken and no current can flow.

3. How does the resistance affect the current in a DC RL circuit?

The resistance in a DC RL circuit causes a voltage drop, which in turn affects the flow of current. As the resistance increases, the voltage drop also increases, resulting in a decrease in current. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. Why is inductance important in a DC RL circuit?

Inductance in a DC RL circuit plays a crucial role in regulating the flow of current. It is the property of a circuit that causes a delay in the buildup of current when the voltage is applied. This delay is due to the magnetic field created by the inductor, which opposes the change in current, resulting in a slower buildup of current.

5. How does the time constant affect the current in a DC RL circuit?

The time constant in a DC RL circuit is the amount of time it takes for the current to reach its maximum value. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance by the inductance (τ = L/R). A longer time constant means that it takes longer for the current to reach its maximum value, while a shorter time constant results in a quicker buildup of current.