Find current through inductor that parallels a resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of IL(t), io(t), and Vo(t) for t>0 in a circuit with a switch that has been closed for a long time before being opened at t=0. Using the Thevenin equivalent voltage and current, the current through the inductor is found to be 20A at t=0 and the equivalent resistance in the loop is 10Ω. This results in IL(t) = 20e(-5t)A and io(t) = -4e(-5t)A. However, a mistake is made in calculating Vo(t) and it is corrected to -160e(-5t)V. The negative sign in front of the value indicates that
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

The switch in the circuit has been closed for a long time before it is opened at t = 0.

Find:

a. IL(t) for t > 0

b. i0(t) for t > 0

c. V0(t) for t > 0

Homework Equations

equivalent resistance, equivalent current, equivalent voltage

voltage division, current division,

V through inductor = L*(dI/dt)

Thevenin / Norton procedures

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the beginning I changed the above to this and simplified the resistors to the right of the inductor to 10Ω with 10 parallel 40 which is 8 and then added to 2 in series to get 10:

Then I changed the current source to the Thevenin equivalent voltage to get this:

But since the switched was closed for a long time and the current through the inductor wasn't changing, the voltage through the inductor is 0.

But what I DO NOT know now...

Does this mean that there's ALSO NO voltage through the 10Ω resistor which now parallels it?

This would mean that there's only voltage across the 0.1Ω resistor which is 2V across. Therefore the current across the 0.1Ω would be

2/0.1 = 20A

So would all the current go across the inductor and not the 10Ω?

If so, then the current through the inductor at the beginning with the switch closed for a long time would be 20A at t=0 .

So then with the switch open the equivalent resistance in the loop left over is 10Ω and so the total V is

10Ω * I +L(dI/dt) = 0;

10Ω*I = -2H*(dI/dt)

(-10Ω/2H)dt = dI/I

integrating both sides gets:

-5t + c = ln I

then if t = 0 then I = 20A. Substituting this initial condition gets C = 3 so

-5t + 3 = ln I; so

e(-5t + 3) = e(ln I)

So ILt = 20e(-5t)A. And this is the total current for the rest of the loop in the circuit with the switch opened too.

Using current division between the 10Ω and 40Ω gets

I = 4e(-5t)A through the 40Ω

Since i0 is going in the opposition direction from the diagram it would be

i0t = -4e(-5t)A

then V = IR so

V0t = 4e(-5t)A * 40Ω

= 80e(-5t)V

Did I do all of this right or did I go wrong somewhere? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right results for IL(t) and io(t). Check your math for Vo(t); what's -4 x 40?

Thanks again gneill.

Rushed the end of my post there though so V0t is actually

-160e(-5t)V

So the drop is negative because the current goes in the direction from - to + across V0,

and would be positive if it was + to - instead, right?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Thanks again gneill.

Rushed the end of my post there though so V0t is actually

-160e(-5t)V

So the drop is negative because the current goes in the direction from - to + across V0,

and would be positive if it was + to - instead, right?

Yup. Looks good.

Your calculations and approach seem to be correct. The key concept in this problem is that the switch has been closed for a long time and therefore the current through the inductor is constant. This means that the voltage across the inductor is 0, as you correctly stated. This also means that there is no voltage drop across the 10Ω resistor, since it is in parallel with the inductor. Therefore, all of the voltage drop in the circuit must occur across the 0.1Ω resistor, resulting in a current of 20A.

Your calculations for the current through the inductor and the total current in the circuit after the switch is opened are correct. Similarly, your calculations for the current and voltage across the 40Ω resistor are also correct. Overall, your approach and calculations seem to be correct and you have successfully found the current through the inductor and the other components in the circuit. Well done!

FAQ: Find current through inductor that parallels a resistor

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that resists changes in electrical current.

2. How does an inductor interact with a resistor?

When an inductor and a resistor are connected in parallel, the inductor allows current to flow through it while the resistor restricts the flow of current. This creates a voltage drop across the resistor.

3. How do I calculate the current through an inductor in parallel with a resistor?

The current through an inductor in parallel with a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Therefore, I = V/R. In this case, the voltage is the total voltage of the circuit and the resistance is the combined resistance of the inductor and resistor.

4. What factors can affect the current through an inductor in parallel with a resistor?

The current through an inductor in parallel with a resistor can be affected by the values of the inductor and resistor, the frequency of the circuit, and the presence of any other components that may be connected in series or parallel.

5. Why is it important to find the current through an inductor that parallels a resistor?

Knowing the current through an inductor that parallels a resistor is important for understanding the behavior of a circuit and for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems. It can also help determine the power dissipated by the resistor and the energy stored in the inductor.