Find current with source transforms

In summary: Perhaps using Nodal analysis.In summary, the conversation was about solving a circuit using source changes and checking the results with nodal analysis. The participants discussed how to properly combine components and convert between Thevenin and Norton models in order to find the current through a load. They also emphasized the importance of checking the results using another method.
eehelp150

Homework Statement

Mgf1aK7.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First I combined the -j3 capacitor and 4ohm resistor to get:
[tex]\frac{32-j48}{25}[/tex].
Then I combined that with the j4 ohm inductor to get:
[tex]\frac{32+j52}{25}[/tex].
Then I combined that with the -j2 ohm capacitor to get:
[tex]\frac{104-72j}{36+j2}[/tex]
My circuit now looks something like:
2B5XjUC.png

I then transform the Current Source into a voltage source:
3<30° -> [tex]\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{2} + 1.5i[/tex]
Z total = [tex]\frac{36-28j}{13}[/tex]
V=I * Z = [tex]\frac{84+103\sqrt3}{26} + \frac{54-84sqrt3j}{26}[/tex]

I now have something like this:
upload_2016-10-12_22-45-51.jpeg

Have I been doing everything right so far? How do I find I?

Physics news on Phys.org
eehelp150 said:

You might want to check that result.

As you "absorb" components you must modify the source value, too. Effectively you are converting between current and voltage sources as you progress, doing a Norton → Thevenin → Norton shuffle.

gneill said:
You might want to check that result.

As you "absorb" components you must modify the source value, too. Effectively you are converting between current and voltage sources as you progress, doing a Norton → Thevenin → Norton shuffle.
What is wrong with the result? Am I not supposed to combine those two parts?

eehelp150 said:
What is wrong with the result? Am I not supposed to combine those two parts?
No, combining them is fine. Check your calculated result.

eehelp150 said:

Then I combined that with the j4 ohm inductor to get:
[tex]\frac{32+j52}{25}[/tex].
Then I combined that with the -j2 ohm capacitor to get:
[tex]\frac{104-72j}{36+j2}[/tex]

The two steps in red are where you made your mistake. You must combine the j4 and -j2 in series, and then that equivalent combines in parallel with what you have up to that point.

The Electrician said:
The two steps in red are where you made your mistake. You must combine the j4 and -j2 in series, and then that equivalent combines in parallel with what you have up to that point.
upload_2016-10-13_11-54-8.png

this is what my circuit looks like now, with Z3 = (96-72j)/(36+2j)
Everything good?
how do I solve for current I

Not good. Your current source has to evolve as you absorb the components. Think of it as taking successive Thevenin or Norton equivalents as you go.

You started by reducing the -j3 capacitor and 4 Ohm resistor to a single impedance, then took it and the current source as a Norton model. All good so far. Then you wanted to absorb the j4 inductor. To do that you have to convert the Norton circuit into its Thevenin equivalent first. So the Norton impedance becomes the series impedance for the Thevenin model and you also have to convert the current source to a Thevenin voltage by multiplying it by that impedance. Then you can include the j4 inductor. The same thing goes for absorbing the -j2 capacitor. You need to convert your new Thevenin model back to a Norton model (source current and parallel impedance). The original current source will be "buried" behind a set of multipliers that it accumulates during the switching back and forth between model types.

Your first change of source goes like this:
upload_2016-10-13_15-37-12.png

gneill said:
Not good. Your current source has to evolve as you absorb the components. Think of it as taking successive Thevenin or Norton equivalents as you go.

You started by reducing the -j3 capacitor and 4 Ohm resistor to a single impedance, then took it and the current source as a Norton model. All good so far. Then you wanted to absorb the j4 inductor. To do that you have to convert the Norton circuit into its Thevenin equivalent first. So the Norton impedance becomes the series impedance for the Thevenin model and you also have to convert the current source to a Thevenin voltage by multiplying it by that impedance. Then you can include the j4 inductor. The same thing goes for absorbing the -j2 capacitor. You need to convert your new Thevenin model back to a Norton model (source current and parallel impedance). The original current source will be "buried" behind a set of multipliers that it accumulates during the switching back and forth between model types.

Your first change of source goes like this:
View attachment 107409
upload_2016-10-13_13-11-10.png

I = 4.47515-2.2127j
Z = (4-72j)/(36-48j)

To get the current, can I use a current divider here or do I need another conversion?
I ended up getting
I = 1.32 - 1.44i

Last edited:
Practically speaking you can do it either way. If they are expecting you to use source changes though, you might want to follow through to the end.

You should check your results using another method when you're done. Perhaps using Nodal analysis.

gneill said:
Practically speaking you can do it either way. If they are expecting you to use source changes though, you might want to follow through to the end.

You should check your results using another method when you're done. Perhaps using Nodal analysis.
I ended up getting
1.32 - 1.44i Amps

eehelp150 said:
I ended up getting
1.32 - 1.44i Amps
Not what I'm seeing. I did the whole series of source changes down to a final Thevenin model in series with the 2 Ohm load, and I checked using nodal analysis to find the voltage at the output node then determined the current through the load from that. The results agreed, and they weren't the same as your result above :frown:

gneill said:
Not what I'm seeing. I did the whole series of source changes down to a final Thevenin model in series with the 2 Ohm load, and I checked using nodal analysis to find the voltage at the output node then determined the current through the load from that. The results agreed, and they weren't the same as your result above :frown:
My Vth is 3-5.2i
is that off as well?

gneill said:
Is it right up to here?
upload_2016-10-13_13-11-10-png.107410.png

I = 4.47515-2.2127j
Z = (4-72j)/(36-48j)

I don't believe so, no. In that configuration your Z should match my final Thevenin impedance and it doesn't.

Your Z:
upload_2016-10-13_17-47-48.png

Mine:
upload_2016-10-13_17-48-26.png

gneill said:
I don't believe so, no. In that configuration your Z should match my final Thevenin impedance and it doesn't.

Your Z:
View attachment 107414

Mine:
View attachment 107415
So your Z is 2.769 - 2.154j at the point in my picture?

eehelp150 said:
So your Z is 2.769 - 2.154j at the point in my picture?

That would be my understanding, yes.

Perhaps we need to go through the transformations one at a time from the beginning?

gneill said:
That would be my understanding, yes.

Perhaps we need to go through the transformations one at a time from the beginning?
I know where I screwed up.
Final I should be:
-0.067 - 1.9i A

eehelp150 said:
I know where I screwed up.
Final I should be:
-0.067 - 1.9i A
Yes, that looks good. :approve:

Related to Find current with source transforms

1. How do I use source transforms to find the current in a circuit?

To find the current in a circuit using source transforms, you will need to follow these steps:

• Identify the voltage source and the resistor in the circuit
  • Apply a voltage source transform to convert the voltage source into a current source
  • Use Ohm's Law to find the equivalent resistance of the circuit
  • Apply a current source transform to convert the current source into a voltage source
  • Use Ohm's Law again to find the current in the circuit

2. What are source transforms and how do they work?

Source transforms are mathematical techniques used to simplify circuits by converting between voltage and current sources. They work by using Ohm's Law to relate the voltage and current in a circuit, and then applying a transformation to convert between the two.

3. When should I use source transforms to find the current in a circuit?

Source transforms are particularly useful when dealing with complex circuits with multiple voltage and current sources. They can help simplify the circuit and make it easier to analyze and calculate the current.

4. What are the advantages of using source transforms to find current?

There are several advantages to using source transforms to find current in a circuit:

• They can simplify complex circuits, making them easier to analyze
  • They can help reduce the number of components in a circuit
  • They can make it easier to find the current in circuits with multiple sources
  • They can save time and effort in circuit analysis

5. Are there any limitations to using source transforms to find current?

While source transforms can be a useful tool in circuit analysis, there are some limitations to keep in mind:

• They only work for linear circuits
  • They may not be accurate for circuits with non-linear elements, such as diodes or transistors
  • They may not be suitable for circuits with time-varying sources
  • They may not work for circuits with multiple non-linear elements