Find d^2 y/d^2 x for y=3t^3+4t & x=6t^4+7t

• Thread starter th3plan
  • Start date
In summary, to find the second derivative of a given equation, we use the power rule. The purpose of finding the second derivative is to determine the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. To evaluate the second derivative at a specific point, we simply plug in the desired value. The second derivative can be negative, indicating a concave down graph. The relationship between the second derivative and the original function is that the second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative, which is the derivative of the original function.
th3plan

Homework Statement

Find the d^2 y /d^2 x for y= 3t^3+4t and x=6t^4+7t

I just made one up similar to what my teacher gave to do

The Attempt at a Solution

Dont know how to do it, i know i need 2nd derivatives but what then help i need please

Physics news on Phys.org
Well first off find [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex] and then try go at it from there. Use your knowledge of parametric differentiation.

Related to Find d^2 y/d^2 x for y=3t^3+4t & x=6t^4+7t

1. How do you find the second derivative of a given equation?

To find the second derivative of an equation, you use the power rule, which states that for a function f(x) = x^n, the derivative is f'(x) = nx^(n-1). In this case, we have y=3t^3+4t, so the first derivative is y'= 9t^2 + 4. To find the second derivative, we use the power rule again, giving us y''= 18t.

2. What is the purpose of finding the second derivative?

The second derivative is used to find the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. This can give us information about the concavity or curvature of the graph, as well as the points where the function has a maximum or minimum value.

3. How do you evaluate the second derivative at a specific point?

To evaluate the second derivative at a specific point, simply plug in the desired value for t into the equation for the second derivative, y''= 18t. For example, if we wanted to find the second derivative at t=2, we would have y''=18(2)=36.

4. Can the second derivative be negative?

Yes, the second derivative can be negative. This means that the graph of the function is concave down at that point. A negative second derivative can also indicate that the function has a relative maximum at that point.

5. What is the relationship between the second derivative and the original function?

The second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative, which is the derivative of the original function. This means that the second derivative is a measure of the curvature of the graph of the original function. A positive second derivative indicates a concave up graph, while a negative second derivative indicates a concave down graph.

Back