Find difference in echo times, doppler shift?

In summary, the bat is using echolocation to track an insect and measures the difference in echo times when the insect moves from 34 cm to 44 cm away. The equation Ltot=vΔt is used to calculate the time, with the speed of sound being 343 m/s. After recalculating, the difference in echo times is found to be 0.0007 seconds.
Angie_Agnes

Homework Statement

A bat is pursuing an insect, and using echolocation of 41 kHz sound waves to track the insect. The insect is initially 34 cm from the bat but then moves to a distance of 44 cm as it tries to escape. What is the difference in the two echo times that the bat measures?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure... is this a doppler shift question? the book has a few sentences about bats using reflection time and doppler effect to judge distances of objects.

This is an equation for radar: Ltot=vΔt
λ=v/f

Doppler shift (moving away from observer)
Fobs=(fsource)/{1+(Vsource/Vsound)}

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find time by using the Ltot=vΔt equation. 2(.34)=343t -> t=.0019s
2(.44)=343t -> t=.0026s. Obviously wrong. Don't know where to start. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is a doppler effect question. I think it is just two echo times.
You need a value for the speed of sound

the speed of sound is 343m/s

Now calculate the time to echo from 34cm, then from 44cm.
The difference??

had a miscalculation the first time I did it. Thanks.

Related to Find difference in echo times, doppler shift?

1. What is the difference in echo times?

The difference in echo times refers to the time delay between the transmission of an acoustic signal and the reception of its echo. This is used in various applications, such as measuring the distance to an object or detecting motion through the Doppler effect.

2. How is the difference in echo times calculated?

The difference in echo times is calculated by measuring the time it takes for an acoustic signal to travel to an object and reflect back to the source. This time is then compared to the expected time based on the speed of sound and the distance to the object.

3. What is the Doppler shift in relation to echo times?

The Doppler shift is the change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source and the observer. In the context of echo times, it is used to measure the speed and direction of an object by analyzing the change in frequency of the reflected acoustic signal.

4. What equipment is needed to measure the difference in echo times and Doppler shift?

To measure the difference in echo times and Doppler shift, specialized equipment such as ultrasonic sensors, microphones, and signal processing software are typically used. These tools allow for precise measurement and analysis of acoustic signals.

5. What are some common applications of measuring the difference in echo times and Doppler shift?

The difference in echo times and Doppler shift can be used in a variety of applications, including sonar and radar systems for navigation and detection, medical ultrasound for imaging and diagnosis, and even in speed enforcement devices such as radar guns.

Back