Find displacement of marble launched from a spring (Energy), help please

In summary, the marble, with a mass of 8.3 x 10^-3 kg, is shot from a horizontal spring with a constant of 12N/m, initially compressed at 4.0 cm. Using the equations E = 0.5kx^2 and E = 0.5mv^2, the velocity of the marble is calculated to be 2.31 m/s. Using the equation dx = vx x t, the distance traveled by the marble before hitting the floor, which is 93.0 cm below, is found to be 0.66m.
mickeymouseho
1. A horizontal spring, of constant 12N/m, is mounted at the edge of a lab bench to shoot marbles at targets on the floor 93.0 cm below. A marble of mass 8.3 x 10^-3 kg is shot from the spring, which is initially compressed a distance of 4.0 cm. How far does the marble travel horizontally before hitting the floor?

2. Relevant equations
E = 0.5kx^2
E = 0.5mv^2
delta d = 0.5(acceleration)(delta time)^2
dx = vx x t

The Attempt at a Solution

E = 0.5kx^2
= 0.5(12N/m)(0.04m)^2
= 0.0096J

E = 0.5mv^2
0.0096J = 0.5(8.3x10^-3kg)(v)^2
Square root of [0.0096J / (0.5x8.3x10^-3kg)] = v
2.31 m/s = v

delta d = 0.5at^2
t = square root of [ (2 times delta d) / a] *accleration = gravity, 9.8m/s
t = square root of [ (2 x 0.93m) / (9.8m/s^2)]
t = 0.436s

dx = vx x t
= 2.31 m/s x 0.436s
= 1.00716m

I've got 1.00716m as the answer. However, the textbook says the answer is 0.66m. I'm guessing I did something wrong at finding the velocity. I can't seem to figure this problem out. Please help. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
mickeymouseho said:
1.A horizontal spring, of constant 12N/m, is mounted at the edge of a lab bench to shoot marbles at targets on the floor 93.0 cm below. A marble of mass 8.3 x 10^-3 kg is shot from the spring, which is initially compressed a distance of 4.0 cm. How far does the marble travel horizontally before hitting the floor?

2. Homework Equations
E = 0.5kx^2
E = 0.5mv^2
delta d = 0.5(acceleration)(delta time)^2
dx = vx x t

3. The Attempt at a Solution
E = 0.5kx^2
= 0.5(12N/m)(0.04m)^2
= 0.0096J

E = 0.5mv^2

0.0096J = 0.5(8.3x10^-3kg)(v)^2
Square root of [0.0096J / (0.5x8.3x10^-3kg)] = v
2.31 m/s = v

I've got 1.00716m as the answer. However, the textbook says the answer is 0.66m. I'm guessing I did something wrong at finding the velocity. I can't seem to figure this problem out. Please help. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to PF.

2.31 is V2 not V

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

2.31 is V2 not V

Thank you for the welcoming! :biggrin:

And yes, I am a clutz, for forgetting to square root... :blushing::redface: Gosh this is embarrasing...

Thanks so much for the help!

Related to Find displacement of marble launched from a spring (Energy), help please

What is the formula for finding displacement of a marble launched from a spring?

The formula for finding displacement of a marble launched from a spring is:
d = (1/2) * k * x^2
Where d is the displacement, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed or stretched.

How do you calculate the energy of a marble launched from a spring?

The energy of a marble launched from a spring can be calculated using the formula:
E = (1/2) * m * v^2
Where E is the energy, m is the mass of the marble, and v is the velocity of the marble.

What factors affect the displacement of a marble launched from a spring?

The displacement of a marble launched from a spring is affected by the spring constant, the distance the spring is compressed or stretched, and the mass of the marble. Other factors that may affect the displacement include external forces such as air resistance and friction.

How can I increase the displacement of a marble launched from a spring?

The displacement of a marble launched from a spring can be increased by increasing the distance the spring is compressed or stretched, increasing the mass of the marble, or using a spring with a higher spring constant. Additionally, reducing external forces such as air resistance and friction can also increase the displacement.

What are some real-world applications of finding displacement of a marble launched from a spring?

Finding the displacement of a marble launched from a spring has many practical applications, such as calculating the distance a projectile will travel when launched from a slingshot or estimating the distance a spring-loaded toy car will travel. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of springs and elastic potential energy.