Find dy/dx of y= the square root of ln x

In summary, the derivative of y with respect to x is equal to 1 divided by 2x times the square root of ln x. This can be found using the u-substitution method or by using the trick of setting y^2 (x) equal to ln x and then differentiating both sides with respect to x.
Interception

Homework Statement

Find dy/dx when y=[itex]\sqrt{ln x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

d/dx of ln x is equal to 1/x times d/dx of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to raise the ln x to the 1/2 power instead of keeping it under a square root sign, but I had no luck. I'm struggling with Calculus. I would very much appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
To visualize the problem in an easier way, let u = ln x. Then proceed. First, differentiate the power, then the term/s under the square root.

Interception said:
I tried to raise the ln x to the 1/2 power instead of keeping it under a square root sign, but I had no luck.

This strategy for solving the problem won't work because (ln(x))^a ≠ln(x^a) = a*ln(x). As suggested by sharks, u substitution is the best strategy here.

Using u-sub:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{lnx}[/itex] | u=lnx

=[itex]\sqrt{u}[/itex]'*u'

=[itex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{lnx}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{1}{2x\sqrt{lnx}}[/itex]

It's been a while since I've done derivatives, but I think this should be the correct way of working it.

There's a nice trick at hand.

[tex] y^2 (x) = \ln x [/tex]

Differentiate both sides with respect to x.

FAQ: Find dy/dx of y= the square root of ln x

1. What does "dy/dx" mean in this context?

"dy/dx" is a notation used in calculus to represent the derivative of a function. In this case, it represents the rate of change of the function y with respect to the variable x.

2. How do you find the derivative of the square root of ln x?

To find the derivative of y = √(ln x), we can use the chain rule. First, we rewrite the function as y = (ln x)^(1/2). Then, we can apply the power rule and the chain rule to find the derivative: dy/dx = 1/(2√(ln x)) * 1/x = 1/(2x√(ln x)).

3. Is the derivative of y = √(ln x) defined for all values of x?

No, the derivative of y = √(ln x) is not defined for x = 0 or x < 0, as ln x is not defined for these values. Additionally, the derivative is not defined for x = 1, as the square root of ln 1 is 0 and division by 0 is undefined.

4. Can you provide a visual representation of the derivative of y = √(ln x)?

Yes, the derivative of y = √(ln x) can be represented graphically as a curve that approaches 0 as x approaches 0 from the positive side, and approaches infinity as x approaches infinity. The graph of y = √(ln x) itself looks like a half of a parabola, with a vertex at (1, 0) and the curve extending to the right.

5. How can the derivative of y = √(ln x) be used in real-life applications?

The derivative of y = √(ln x) can be used in various applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to analyze the rate of change of certain variables, such as population growth or temperature change, and make predictions based on this rate of change. It can also be used to optimize functions and find maximum or minimum values.