Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods

happyparticle
Homework Statement
Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods in contact.
##x = 0 , T= T_1##
##x = L, T=T_2##
For the first rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_1##
The second rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_2##
Relevant Equations
##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}##
Knowing that we are in equilibrium ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = 0##.

We now have a Laplace's equation ##\kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} = 0##

I separated the rod in 2 halves.

The solution of this equation is ##\kappa_1 \frac{\partial2 T}{\partial x2} = C_1##

Integrating both side we get ##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + C_2##

The first boundary condition: ##x = 0 , T = T_1##

We now have
##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + \kappa_1 T_1##

I'm stuck here. I can't find what is the second condition and I have the same problem with the second half of the rod.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm really stuck.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
Homework Statement: Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods in contact.
##x = 0 , T= T_1##
##x = L, T=T_2##
For the first rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_1##
The second rod: ##\kappa = \kappa_2##
Relevant Equations: ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}##

Knowing that we are in equilibrium ##\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = 0##.

We now have a Laplace's equation ##\kappa \frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} = 0##

I separated the rod in 2 halves.

The solution of this equation is ##\kappa_1 \frac{\partial2 T}{\partial x2} = C_1##

Integrating both side we get ##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + C_2##

The first boundary condition: ##x = 0 , T = T_1##

We now have
##\kappa_1 T = C_1 x + \kappa_1 T_1##

I'm stuck here. I can't find what is the second condition and I have the same problem with the second half of the rod.

Any help will be appreciated. I'm really stuck.

Thank you
How about showing a diagram that has the end conditions. Is the ##x = 0## at the meeting point, or one of the ends, or what?

What are the lengths of the two rods? Are their diameters the same?

erobz said:
How about showing a diagram that has the end conditions. Is the ##x = 0## at the meeting point, or one of the ends, or what?
##x = 0 , T = T_1## is one of the ends. I don't have any diagram.

Chestermiller said:
What are the lengths of the two rods? Are their diameters the same?
Their diameters are the same and the length of each rod is L/2.

happyparticle said:
##x = 0 , T = T_1## is one of the ends. I don't have any diagram.Their diameters are the same and the length of each rod is L/2.
$$Q=k_{left}A\frac{(T_1-T_m)}{L/2}=k_{right}A\frac{(T_m-T_2)}{L/2}$$where Q is the total rate of heat flow along the rod, A is the cross sectional area, and ##T_m## is the temperature at the junction between the two materials.

Just to be sure, does it means that the total rate of heat flow just before the junction on the right is equal to the total rate of heat flow just after the second rod. I try to figure out what that equation means. If so, is it always the case?

Secondly, Does it means that my constant ##C_1 = Q ## ?

Thank you

happyparticle said:
Just to be sure, does it means that the total rate of heat flow just before the junction on the right is equal to the total rate of heat flow just after the second rod. I try to figure out what that equation means. If so, is it always the case?
Sure. The heat has nowhere else to go.
happyparticle said:
Secondly, Does it means that my constant ##C_1 = Q ## ?

Thank you
Here, Q is a constant.

Likes happyparticle
Thank you!

Related to Find equilibrium profile T(x) Between Two Rods

What is an equilibrium profile in the context of two rods?

An equilibrium profile refers to the temperature distribution T(x) along the length of two rods that have been brought into thermal contact. It represents the steady-state temperature at each point along the rods where the heat flux is balanced, and there is no net change in temperature over time.

How do you derive the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods?

To derive the equilibrium profile T(x) between two rods, you need to solve the heat conduction equation under steady-state conditions. This typically involves setting up and solving a differential equation based on Fourier's law of heat conduction, which states that the heat flux is proportional to the temperature gradient. Boundary conditions at the ends of the rods are also necessary to find the specific solution.

What boundary conditions are commonly used for finding T(x) between two rods?

Common boundary conditions include specifying the temperatures at the ends of the rods (Dirichlet boundary conditions) or specifying the heat flux at the ends (Neumann boundary conditions). For example, one might set the temperatures at the ends of the rods to known values or assume that the ends are insulated, leading to zero heat flux.

What assumptions are typically made in finding the equilibrium profile between two rods?

Typical assumptions include: the rods are homogeneous and isotropic (having uniform material properties throughout), the thermal contact between the rods is perfect (no thermal resistance at the interface), and the system is in a steady state (no time dependence). Additionally, it is often assumed that heat transfer occurs only by conduction and not by convection or radiation.

Can the equilibrium profile T(x) be non-linear?

Yes, the equilibrium profile T(x) can be non-linear, especially if the thermal properties of the rods vary with temperature or if there are non-uniform boundary conditions. However, in many cases with constant thermal conductivity and simple boundary conditions, the profile may be linear.