Find Exactly One Triple from $n$ Objects: $\mod{6}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter maxkor
  • Start date
In summary, it is polite and appreciated if you have the solution to a problem ready to post before you ask for help from other members, and it is also considered as a challenge if you post a problem which you yourself do not have the solution to.
maxkor
Let $n \equiv 3 (\mod{6})$ objects $a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n$, show one can find $\frac{\binom{n}{2}}{3}$ triples $(a_i,a_j,a_k)$ such that every pair $(a_i,a_j) (i \ne j)$ appears in exactly one triple.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
maxkor said:
Let $n \equiv 3 (\mod{6})$ objects $a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n$, show one can find $\frac{\binom{n}{2}}{3}$ triples $(a_i,a_j,a_k)$ such that every pair $(a_i,a_j) (i \ne j)$ appears in exactly one triple.

A week has now gone by...perhaps you would like to share with us your solution to this problem. :D

MarkFL said:
A week has now gone by...perhaps you would like to share with us your solution to this problem. :D

I do not have a solution

maxkor said:
I do not have a solution

Hi maxkor, welcome to MHB and you're certainly welcome to post challenging problem(s) at our Challenge Questions and Puzzles sub forum because our members love all those fun for solving interesting and challenging math problems!:)

But, as the moderator of this sub forum, I need to remind you one of the guidelines that the posters of the challenge problems should adhere to and follow:

This forum is for the posting of problems and puzzles which our members find challenging, instructional or interesting and who wish to share them with others. As such, the OP should already have the correct solution ready to post in the event that no correct solution is given within at least 1 week's time.

Since you are new to this sub forum, I know perhaps you are not aware of such a guideline might exist and as such, please bear in mind that when you wanted to post for any challenge problem(s) here, please also be certain that you have already the solution in full at hand.

As a frequent challenge problems poster, I always solved any hard problem first before I made them a challenge here, and if I don't solve it by myself but have solution of other at hand and that the problem is interesting and challenging, I would post them here too. On the other hand, if I saw a great and hard problem of which I couldn't solve but eagerly wanted to know how to tackle it, then I would post it to ask for help from our members, rather than posing them as a challenge problem. This is my experience that I want to share it with you.:)

Related to Find Exactly One Triple from $n$ Objects: $\mod{6}$

1. What does "Find Exactly One Triple from $n$ Objects: $\mod{6}$" mean?

This phrase refers to finding a set of three objects from a group of $n$ objects that satisfy a specific mathematical condition, known as the "mod 6" condition. Mod 6 is a mathematical operation that finds the remainder when a number is divided by 6.

2. How do I know if an object satisfies the "mod 6" condition?

To satisfy the "mod 6" condition, an object must have a remainder of either 0, 2, or 4 when divided by 6. This can be determined by performing the division or by using a calculator.

3. What is the significance of finding exactly one triple with the "mod 6" condition?

Finding exactly one triple with the "mod 6" condition has applications in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and graph theory. It also has practical uses in computer science, such as in error-correcting codes and data encryption.

4. How many possible triples can be found from $n$ objects using the "mod 6" condition?

The number of possible triples that can be found depends on the value of $n$ and the specific objects being considered. In general, the number of possible triples increases as $n$ increases. However, there may be cases where no triples can be found, or where multiple triples can be found.

5. Are there any other variations of this problem besides using $\mod{6}$?

Yes, there are many other variations of this problem that use different mathematical operations, such as mod 3, mod 4, or mod 7. These variations may have different conditions for what constitutes a "triple" and can have different applications and solutions.