Find Frequency and Amplitude from Max Velocity and Accn

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the amplitude and angular frequency in a physics problem. The formula Vmax=Aω was used and the solution involved finding the magnitude of A and using it to solve for ω. The final answer for the amplitude was 0.0055m.
rocapp

Homework Statement

See attached screenshot

Homework Equations

Vmax=Aω
ay=-ω2A

The Attempt at a Solution

The given max velocity is 1.2 m/s, so

1.2 = ωA

Ay = -ω^2A

1.2/A = -√260/A
A = 0.005

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 2.27.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-25 at 2.27.03 PM.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 570
Physics news on Phys.org
rocapp said:
1.2/A = -√260/A
Parentheses would help, and don't worry about the sign because you only want the magnitude.
A = 0.005
A little inaccurate. How many significant figures do you think you should provide?
This is just part B. Any problem with part A?

I tried 0.006, but it didn't work either. I am not sure what to do for part A at all.

rocapp said:
I tried 0.006, but it didn't work either.
You didn't answer my other question: how many significant figure do you think you should give in the answer? Why are you only giving one?
I am not sure what to do for part A at all.
You already have an equation you can solve for ω.

There should be two significant figures, but my homework doesn't mind a little inaccuracy. I'm still having difficulty with part A.

Since

A = (ω)/(vmax)

and

A = (amax)/(ω2)

then

ω/vmax = amax/(ω2)

Plug in knowns:

260/(ω^2) = ω/1.2
ω3 = 312
ω = 6.78
ω = 2πf
f = 1.08

This is not correct, though. And I do not know why.

rocapp said:
There should be two significant figures, but my homework doesn't mind a little inaccuracy. I'm still having difficulty with part A.
OK, but I think it's worth trying 0.0055
Since A = (ω)/(vmax)
No - try that one again. (What dimension would frequency/speed have?)

0.0055 was incorrect.

frequency/speed would be m/sec^2... OH!

So A = (vmax)/ω, correct?

rocapp said:
0.0055 was incorrect.

frequency/speed would be m/sec^2... OH!

So A = (vmax)/ω, correct?

Yes.

I'm still getting 0.0055 for amplitude. Any ideas?

0.0055m looks right to me.

Well the homework software is counting it wrong. Thanks for the help!

FAQ: Find Frequency and Amplitude from Max Velocity and Accn

1. What is frequency and amplitude?

Frequency refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles that occur in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz). Amplitude, on the other hand, is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. It is measured in meters (m).

2. How do you find frequency and amplitude from maximum velocity and acceleration?

To find frequency, we use the formula f = v/λ, where v is the maximum velocity and λ is the wavelength. To find amplitude, we use the formula A = v^2/a, where v is the maximum velocity and a is the acceleration. It is important to note that these formulas only apply to simple harmonic motion.

3. What is the relationship between frequency, velocity, and acceleration?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its velocity and inversely proportional to its acceleration. This means that as frequency increases, velocity increases, and acceleration decreases. Similarly, as frequency decreases, velocity decreases, and acceleration increases.

4. Can you find frequency and amplitude from any type of motion?

No, frequency and amplitude can only be determined for simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Examples of simple harmonic motion include a mass on a spring or a pendulum swinging back and forth. For other types of motion, different methods must be used to calculate frequency and amplitude.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding frequency and amplitude?

Frequency and amplitude are important concepts in fields such as physics, engineering, and music. In physics and engineering, understanding these quantities is crucial for analyzing and designing systems that involve waves, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. In music, frequency and amplitude are used to describe the pitch and loudness of a sound, respectively.

Back