Find g(x)/h(y) for a given F(x,y)

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
In summary, the equation ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} . \frac{1}{4x} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} . \frac{1}{10y}## can be rearranged to ##g(x)/h(y)=-F_x/F_y## where ##g(x)## and ##h(y)## satisfy the equation ##h(y)F_x+g(x)F_y=0##. This proves that the ratio of ##g(x)## and ##h(y)## can be used to find the solution for any choice of ##F_x## and ##F_y## that satisfy the equation.
songoku
Homework Statement
Given that ##F(x,y)=f(2x^2 +5y^2)## and satisfies ##h(y) \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}+g(x) \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0##, find ##\frac{g(x)}{h(y)}##
Relevant Equations
Partial derivative
$$F(x,y)=f(2x^2+5y^2)$$

$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=f'(2x^2+5y^2) . (4x)$$

$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=f'(2x^2+5y^2).(10y)$$

##f'(2x^2+5y^2)=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} . \frac{1}{4x} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} . \frac{1}{10y}##

So
$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} . \frac{1}{4x} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} . \frac{1}{10y}$$
$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} . 10y=\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} . 4x$$
$$10y . \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}-4x . \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}=0$$

Then
$$\frac{g(x)}{h(y)}=-\frac{4x}{10y}$$

But the answer is ##\frac{4x}{10y}##. Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your minus result.

Likes songoku
I agree with the minus sign. I disagree with your approach. You demonstrated that ##h(y)=10y## and ##g(x)=4x## happen to satisfy the equation, and then computed the ratio of them. But that doesn't really prove that ratio works for any choice of ##g## and##h## that satisfy the equation (of which there are many)

I think what they wanted you to do is simply algebra

##h(y)F_x+g(x)F_y=0##
##g(x)F_y=-h(y)F_x##
##g(x)/h(y)=-F_x/F_y##

Likes PeroK and songoku
Office_Shredder said:
I agree with the minus sign. I disagree with your approach. You demonstrated that ##h(y)=10y## and ##g(x)=4x## happen to satisfy the equation, and then computed the ratio of them. But that doesn't really prove that ratio works for any choice of ##g## and##h## that satisfy the equation (of which there are many)

I think what they wanted you to do is simply algebra

##h(y)F_x+g(x)F_y=0##
##g(x)F_y=-h(y)F_x##
##g(x)/h(y)=-F_x/F_y##
Ah I see it is possible to start from there. I thought I had to start from partial derivative and tried to rearrange the equation to fit the question.

Thank you very much anuttarasammyak and Office_Shredder

Related to Find g(x)/h(y) for a given F(x,y)

1. What is the definition of F(x,y) in this context?

F(x,y) is a function of two variables, x and y, which represents a mathematical relationship between them. It can be any form of a function, such as polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric, and it is used to derive other functions like g(x) and h(y).

2. How do you extract g(x) from F(x,y)?

To extract g(x) from F(x,y), you need to express the function in a way that isolates the dependency on x. This often involves integrating or differentiating with respect to y, or setting y to a constant value if possible, to simplify F(x,y) into a function solely of x.

3. How do you extract h(y) from F(x,y)?

Similar to extracting g(x), to extract h(y) from F(x,y), you need to isolate the dependency on y. This can be achieved by integrating or differentiating with respect to x, or setting x to a constant value if possible, to reduce F(x,y) into a function solely of y.

4. What are the common methods used to find g(x)/h(y)?

Common methods include partial differentiation, integration, and algebraic manipulation. These techniques help to isolate the variables x and y in F(x,y) and derive the respective functions g(x) and h(y). In some cases, numerical methods or software tools may also be employed to handle more complex functions.

5. Can g(x) and h(y) always be uniquely determined from F(x,y)?

No, g(x) and h(y) cannot always be uniquely determined from F(x,y). The ability to separate F(x,y) into g(x) and h(y) depends on the specific form of the function. In some cases, it may not be possible to isolate the variables in a way that yields unique functions g(x) and h(y).