Find "h" & "k" Given a,b,c,d,f,g: Method Explained

• MHB
  • Thread starter hasu1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the method for finding "h" and "k" in a function given the variables a, b, c, d, f, and g is by using the formula h = -b/2a and k = c - b^2/4a, known as the vertex form of a quadratic equation. This method is specifically used for quadratic functions in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c and will not work for other types of functions. In the formula, a represents the coefficient of the x^2 term, b represents the coefficient of the x term, and c represents the constant term. The variables d, f, and g are not used in this method. You do not need to graph
hasu1
Some directed line segments are given by:

View attachment 5397if a,b,c,d,f,g are given (integers), by what method can i use to find h and k? Thanks...

Attachments

• 399dfcc5a55ef48265080f8f7cd271f4.png
    399dfcc5a55ef48265080f8f7cd271f4.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 70
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It holds that $\vec{OA}+\vec{AB}+\vec{BD}=\vec{OD}$.

FAQ: Find "h" & "k" Given a,b,c,d,f,g: Method Explained

1. How do I find "h" and "k" using the given variables?

The method for finding "h" and "k" in a function given the variables a, b, c, d, f, and g is by using the formula h = -b/2a and k = c - b^2/4a. This method is known as the vertex form of a quadratic equation.

2. Can I use this method for any type of function?

No, this method is specifically used for quadratic functions in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c. It will not work for other types of functions.

3. What do a, b, c, d, f, and g represent in this method?

In the formula, a represents the coefficient of the x^2 term, b represents the coefficient of the x term, and c represents the constant term. The variables d, f, and g are not used in this method.

4. Do I need to graph the function to find "h" and "k"?

No, you do not need to graph the function to find "h" and "k". The formula can be used directly with the given variables to find the values of "h" and "k". However, graphing the function can help visualize the location of the vertex.

5. Can I use this method to find the vertex of any quadratic equation?

Yes, this method can be used to find the vertex of any quadratic equation, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. The formula will give the coordinates of the vertex in the form (h,k).