Find initial height when velocity is given

In summary, the problem asks for the distance between the ledge and the top of the window, given that it takes 0.2 seconds for the flowerpot to pass the window. Using the equations for vertical motion, we can find that the initial velocity of the pot is 22 m/s. From there, we can plug in the values and solve for the distance between the ledge and the top of the window, which is 4.4 meters.
KendraSan

Homework Statement

A flowerpot falls from the ledge of an apartment building. It takes .2 s for the pot to pass the 4 m window below. How far above the top of the window is the ledge from which the pot fell? (Neglect air resistance)

Homework Equations

y(t)=y0 + (voy)(t) - 1/2g(t^2)
vy(t) = voy - gt

The Attempt at a Solution

4m/.2s =20m/s
so vy(.2)=voy-(9.81*.2)
20+1.962= voy
22= initial velocity

y(t)=y0 + 22(.2)-(9.81/2)(.2^2)
0 = y0 +4.4 - .2

Yeah, I know I'm wrong I just can't figure out how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
KendraSan said:

Homework Statement

A flowerpot falls from the ledge of an apartment building. It takes .2 s for the pot to pass the 4 m window below. How far above the top of the window is the ledge from which the pot fell? (Neglect air resistance)

Homework Equations

y(t)=y0 + (voy)(t) - 1/2g(t^2)
vy(t) = voy - gt

The Attempt at a Solution

4m/.2s =20m/s
so vy(.2)=voy-(9.81*.2)
20+1.962= voy
22= initial velocity

y(t)=y0 + 22(.2)-(9.81/2)(.2^2)
0 = y0 +4.4 - .2
Yeah, I know I'm wrong I just can't figure out how to do this problem.
You need to think about the pot's initial velocity again. What happens when you drop something? How fast it is going the moment you let go of it?

Related to Find initial height when velocity is given

1. What is the equation for finding initial height when velocity is given?

The equation for finding initial height when velocity is given is h = v2 / (2g), where h is the initial height, v is the velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

2. How do you calculate initial height if velocity is given in meters per second (m/s)?

If velocity is given in meters per second, you can use the equation h = v2 / (2g) to calculate the initial height. Make sure to keep the units consistent, as the answer will be in meters.

3. Can the initial height be negative if the velocity is given?

Yes, the initial height can be negative if the velocity is given. This indicates that the object was launched from a height below the starting point, such as throwing a ball downwards from a cliff.

4. What is the unit for initial height when velocity is given?

The unit for initial height when velocity is given is meters (m). This is because the velocity is typically given in meters per second (m/s), and when plugged into the equation h = v2 / (2g), the unit for acceleration due to gravity (g) is also in meters per second squared (m/s2).

5. Can the initial height be zero if the velocity is given?

Yes, the initial height can be zero if the velocity is given. This means that the object was launched from ground level, or that the starting point is at the same height as the landing point.