Find integers A and B such that A^2 +B^2 = 8585

• Thread starter ptolema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, the conversation discusses finding integers A and B that satisfy the equation A2 + B2 = 8585. The solution is provided as A = 67 and B = 64, A = 76 and B = 53, A = 88 and B = 29, and A = 92 and B = 11. The conversation also mentions using the Brahmagupta-Fibonacci identity to find solutions and the observation that the set of numbers which are the sum of two squares is closed under multiplication.
ptolema

Homework Statement

Find integers A and B such that A2 +B2 = 8585

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So in this case, I already know the answer:
Sum of 2 squares: 8585 = 67^2 + 64^2 = 76^2 + 53^2 = 88^2 + 29^2 = 92^2 + 11^2.
I started off looking at the graph of the circle A2 +B2 = 8585. My problem was trying to limit my possible solutions to integers.
Is there is any kind of method/algorithm for expressing a number as a sum of squares? I haven't really seen it as commonly as I do the difference of squares.

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of numbers which are the sum of two squares is closed under multiplication. (This can easily be seen by considering the moduli of complex integers.) So a good place to start is to factorise the target. If all its factors are sums of two squares, then solve those individually. Can you figure out from my hint how to recombine them?

Check here if you need more inspiration.

I see now. So 5, 17, and 101 are the factors of 8585. 5=2^2 + 1^2, 17=4^2 + 1^2, and 101=10^2 + 1^2. Using the Brahmagupta-Fibonacci identity yields the results shown.

FAQ: Find integers A and B such that A^2 +B^2 = 8585

1. How can I find integers A and B that satisfy A^2 + B^2 = 8585?

The most common approach to this problem is to use a computer algorithm, such as the Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares, to find all possible combinations of A and B that satisfy the equation. Another method is to use a Pythagorean triple to generate solutions.

2. Are there any other methods to find integers A and B besides using a computer algorithm?

Yes, there are other methods such as using complex numbers and modular arithmetic to solve the equation. However, these methods may require a strong background in mathematics and may not guarantee all possible solutions.

3. Is there a limit to the values of A and B when solving A^2 + B^2 = 8585?

Yes, the values of A and B are limited by the nature of the equation. For example, in the case of A^2 + B^2 = 8585, A and B cannot be larger than the square root of 8585 or else the equation will not be satisfied. Additionally, there may be other limitations depending on the method used to solve the equation.

4. Can A and B be negative integers?

Yes, A and B can be negative integers as long as the sum of their squares is equal to 8585. For example, A = -91 and B = -8 satisfy the equation because (-91)^2 + (-8)^2 = 8585.

5. Is it possible to have more than one solution for A and B?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple solutions for A and B that satisfy the equation A^2 + B^2 = 8585. For example, A = 12 and B = 91, as well as A = -91 and B = -8, are both valid solutions. In fact, there are an infinite number of solutions for this equation.

Back