Find inverse function of binary entropy

In summary, The inverse function f^{-1} of the binary entropy function f on the domain [0, 1/2[ cannot be found in the normal sense but a series expansion can be used to approximate the inverse.
emma83

Homework Statement

Find the inverse function [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] of the binary entropy [tex]f[/tex] (given below) on the domain of definition [0;1/2[ (i.e. where [tex]f[/tex] is continuous strictly increasing).
The function [tex]f[/tex] is given by:
[tex]f(x)=-x\log(x)-(1-x)\log(1-x)[/tex]
(where [tex]\log[/tex] is the logarithm base 2)

Homework Equations

If I am right with the calculation, this is equivalent to solving:
[tex]x^{x}(1-x)^{1-x}=2^{-y}[/tex]
But I have no clue how to solve this either!

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to solve this, I also tried with computer programs such as Maple and Mathematica but was not able to compute it either (I don't know much of them so I guess this should be possible (?))

Physics news on Phys.org
Did it actually say "find" or perhaps some other wording?
What type of textbook was it?

Thanks for your answer. I had to translate it from French, it is not in a textbook but part of an assignment I have to do for a physics course.
Actually I am allowed to use a computer program to get the answer, so it should be enough if Maple, Mathematica or Matlab gives me the symbolic expression of [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] but I am not used to these programs and everything I tried to solve this so far ended up in an error message.
Any clue?

Maybe the wording means: Show that this function f defined on [0,1/2[ has an inverse, but does not require you to find a symbolic formula for that inverse.

Well I need the symbolic expression for the rest of the assignment.
Do you think this is not solvable?

I think the inverse is not an elementary function.

I agree, I don't think it's solvable in the normal sense. But you could find a series expansion for the inverse. Mathematica has a function "InverseSeries" for exactly this purpose.

Maybe because it's late at night here but it seems :shy:

[tex]-x\log(x)-(1-x)\log(1-x)[/tex]

works out as

[tex]\log(x)[/tex]

epenguin said:
Maybe because it's late at night here but it seems :shy:

[tex]-x\log(x)-(1-x)\log(1-x)[/tex]

works out as

[tex]\log(x)[/tex]

Must be REALLY late.

Yes I will delete that presently.

Related to Find inverse function of binary entropy

1. What is the definition of binary entropy?

Binary entropy, also known as Shannon entropy, is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness of a binary variable. It is calculated as the negative sum of the probabilities of each possible outcome multiplied by the logarithm of those probabilities.

2. Why is it important to find the inverse function of binary entropy?

Finding the inverse function of binary entropy allows us to determine the probability of an outcome given its corresponding entropy value. This is useful in various fields, such as information theory and cryptography, where we need to analyze and manipulate binary data.

3. How do you find the inverse function of binary entropy?

The inverse function of binary entropy can be found by setting the entropy equation equal to a variable and solving for the probability. This results in the inverse function, which can then be used to calculate the probability of an outcome for a given entropy value.

4. Can the inverse function of binary entropy be represented graphically?

Yes, the inverse function of binary entropy can be graphed as a curve with entropy values on the x-axis and corresponding probabilities on the y-axis. This curve is known as the inverse entropy function or the decoding curve.

5. What are the applications of the inverse function of binary entropy?

The inverse function of binary entropy has various applications in fields such as data compression, error-correcting codes, and machine learning. It is also used in the analysis and design of communication systems, as well as in measuring the efficiency of data storage and transmission.