Find Isobaric Expansion & Pressure-Volume Coefficient for Solid

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial derivatives of volume with respect to temperature and pressure, and the isobaric expansion coefficient and isothermal pressure-volume coefficient. The question at hand is whether the textbook solution is correct, as it appears to only give a polynomial in temperature. It is suggested that the original question may have been different and the answer was not updated accordingly.
member 731016
Homework Statement
The problem I am trying to solve is,
Find the isobaric expansion coefficient ##\frac{dV}{dT}## and the isothermal pressure-volume coefficient ##\frac{dV}{dP}## of a solid that has equation of state ##V+bpT–cT^2=0##
Relevant Equations
Equation of state of solid: ##V+bpT–cT^2=0##
The answer to this problem is
1686990202428.png

However, I am confused how this relates to the question.

My working is,
##V = cT^2 - bpT##
##\frac{dV}{dT} = 2cT - bp## (I take the partial derivative of volume with respect to temperature to get the isobaric expansion coefficient)

##\frac{dV}{dP} = 0## (I take the partial derivative of volume with respect to pressure to get the isothermal pressure-volume coefficient)

If someone please knows whether I am correct or not then that would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that p and P are supposed to be the same.

Likes member 731016
haruspex said:
I suspect that p and P are supposed to be the same.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

That gives ##\frac{dV}{dP} = -bT##. Do you please know whether the textbook solution is wrong? It appears they just give a polynomial in temperature.

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

That gives ##\frac{dV}{dP} = -bT##. Do you please know whether the textbook solution is wrong? It appears they just give a polynomial in temperature.

Many thanks!
It is obviously not an answer to the question. It merely restates the given equation. The answers must take the form ##\frac{dV}{dT}=## etc. Or better, ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}=## etc.
Perhaps the original question was the reverse: it provided the partial derivatives and asked for the state equation. Someone changed the question but forgot to change the answer.

Likes member 731016
haruspex said:
It is obviously not an answer to the question. It merely restates the given equation. The answers must take the form ##\frac{dV}{dT}=## etc. Or better, ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}=## etc.
Perhaps the original question was the reverse: it provided the partial derivatives and asked for the state equation. Someone changed the question but forgot to change the answer.
Thank you for your help @haruspex ! I understand now :)

Related to Find Isobaric Expansion & Pressure-Volume Coefficient for Solid

What is isobaric expansion in solids?

Isobaric expansion in solids refers to the increase in volume of a solid material when it is heated at a constant pressure. This phenomenon is characterized by a change in the dimensions of the solid due to thermal energy, which causes the atoms or molecules within the solid to move apart.

How do you calculate the isobaric expansion coefficient for a solid?

The isobaric expansion coefficient, also known as the coefficient of thermal expansion, is calculated using the formula: α = (1/V) * (dV/dT)_P, where α is the isobaric expansion coefficient, V is the initial volume of the solid, and (dV/dT)_P is the rate of change of volume with respect to temperature at constant pressure.

What is the pressure-volume coefficient for solids?

The pressure-volume coefficient for solids, often referred to as the bulk modulus (K), is a measure of a solid's resistance to uniform compression. It is defined as K = -V * (dP/dV), where V is the volume, P is the pressure, and (dP/dV) is the rate of change of pressure with respect to volume.

How does temperature affect the isobaric expansion of solids?

Temperature affects the isobaric expansion of solids by increasing the kinetic energy of the atoms or molecules within the solid. As the temperature rises, the particles vibrate more vigorously, causing the solid to expand. The extent of this expansion depends on the material's isobaric expansion coefficient.

Can the isobaric expansion coefficient vary between different materials?

Yes, the isobaric expansion coefficient can vary significantly between different materials. Each material has a unique atomic or molecular structure, which influences how it responds to temperature changes. Materials with loosely bound atoms or molecules typically have higher isobaric expansion coefficients compared to those with tightly bound structures.