Find Isomorphism: Mapping Ints to Even Ints

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the hint in the book says to try n to 2n. The book says to prove injective, surjective, and phi(x,y) = phi(x) phi(y). The map or function is f(x) = 2x. To map to odd integers use f(x) = 2x+1, this is not a group though because it is not closed: 3+3=6. Sorry, really newbie at this.
semidevil
find an isomorphism from from the group of integers under addition to the group of even integers under addition.

I know, very simple question, but I don't know what I am doing here...

the hint in the book says to try n to 2n. I thought of that too, since it specificaly says integers to even integers.

the books says to prove injective, surjective, and phi(x,y) = phi(x) phi(y).

so what do I do? start x = 2y and prove x = y?

I think I'm wronng...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have n to 2n so try defining a function that creates the isomorphism:

f(x) = 2x

Once you have that, the rest follows:

injective: f(x) = y & f(x') = y now show that x = x'
surjective: you know that if y is an even integer then it is equal to 2x for some x, where x is an integer...

the last part is showing that f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)...

nnnnnnnn said:
You have n to 2n so try defining a function that creates the isomorphism:

f(x) = 2x

Once you have that, the rest follows:

injective: f(x) = y & f(x') = y now show that x = x'
surjective: you know that if y is an even integer then it is equal to 2x for some x, where x is an integer...

the last part is showing that f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)...

I understand by reading the book what all the steps ask me to do, but I don't know what they mean by "define a map or function." Like, what do I map from what to what?

do I do 2x = 2y, and then go through all the steps? what if they ask to find an isomorphism from integers to odd integers, or something? do I do 3x = 3y?

Basically, I don't know what the hint "try n to 2n" means. How am I supposed to use that...

sorry, really newbie at this.

semidevil said:
I understand by reading the book what all the steps ask me to do, but I don't know what they mean by "define a map or function." Like, what do I map from what to what?

do I do 2x = 2y, and then go through all the steps? what if they ask to find an isomorphism from integers to odd integers, or something? do I do 3x = 3y?

Basically, I don't know what the hint "try n to 2n" means. How am I supposed to use that...

sorry, really newbie at this.

The map or function is f(x) = 2x...

To map to odd integers use f(x) = 2x+1, this is not a group though because it is not closed: 3+3=6...

semidevil said:

The question asks you to find (define) an isomorphism from [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] to
[itex]2\mathbb{Z}[/itex]:
[tex]f:\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow 2\mathbb{Z}[/tex].
The 'hint' (which basically gives the answer) is: try f(x)=2x.

What you have to check now is:
Injectivity: [itex]f(x)=f(y) \Rightarrow x=y[/itex]
Surjectivity: for every even number y there exist an integer x, such that f(x)=y.
Homomorphic property: f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y).

semidevil said:
do I do 2x = 2y
I think that what's confusing you is that both have to have the same number of elements. Since both groups are infinite, it doesn't matter.

Try thinking of it this way: the integers under addition represent how many $2 bills you have and the even integers represent how many $1 bills you have...

Related to Find Isomorphism: Mapping Ints to Even Ints

1. What is the concept of isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to a one-to-one correspondence between two structures or objects. In other words, it is a mapping that preserves the relationships and structure between the two objects.

2. How does isomorphism apply to mapping ints to even ints?

In this case, isomorphism refers to the process of mapping integers (whole numbers) to even integers (numbers that are divisible by 2). This mapping preserves the structure of the numbers, as the order and relationships between the numbers remain the same.

3. Why is isomorphism important in mathematics?

Isomorphism is important because it helps us understand the relationships and patterns between different mathematical structures. It allows us to see similarities and differences between objects and make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.

4. How can isomorphism be used in practical applications?

Isomorphism has practical applications in various fields, such as computer science, chemistry, and economics. In computer science, it is used in data compression and encryption. In chemistry, it is used to understand the structure of molecules. In economics, it is used to model and analyze complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to isomorphism?

While isomorphism is a powerful tool in mathematics, there are limitations to its application. For example, it cannot be used to map all mathematical structures, and it only considers a one-to-one correspondence, not accounting for the size or quantity of the objects being mapped.