Find length of two line segments in parallelogram.

In summary, a parallelogram ABCD with <BAD=60 has lines AM and BM bisecting angles BAD and ABC respectively. The perimeter of ABCD is 6 and you are asked to find the lengths of the sides of triangle ABM. By noticing that BMC is an equilateral triangle, you can set up an equation relating the short side of the parallelogram with the short leg of the right triangle to help solve the problem.
phantomcow2

Homework Statement

ABCD is a parallelogram with <BAD=60. Lines AM and BM bisect Angles BAD and ABC respectively. Perimeter of ABCD is 6. Find lengths of the sides of triangle ABM.

[PLAIN]http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2440/stumped.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped. I can't just solve for the lengths of the sides with a simple system, because there's only one value for which that 90 degree triangle will exist. I'm imagining some sort of system of equations to be setup here, but I can't put my finger on what. Can somebody give me a hint as to how best to begin this problem? SO far I've only designated lengths of the inner triangle relative to the length of the hypotenuse (one side of the perimeter of the parallelogram), but these are the special 30 - 60 - 90 length values. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that BMC is an equilateral triangle so BM = BC. That will give you an equation relating the short side of the parallelogram with the short leg of the right triangle. That should help.

Awesome, actually that did help :p. Sometimes it's the simple things that are overlooked.

Related to Find length of two line segments in parallelogram.

1. How do you find the length of two line segments in a parallelogram?

In order to find the length of two line segments in a parallelogram, you will need to use the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that states the relationship between the sides of a right triangle. It is represented by the equation a² + b² = c², where a and b are the two shorter sides and c is the longest side (hypotenuse).

3. How do you identify the two line segments in a parallelogram?

In a parallelogram, the opposite sides are equal in length and parallel to each other. Therefore, the two line segments that we are trying to find the length of are the diagonals of the parallelogram.

4. Can the Pythagorean Theorem be used to find the length of any two line segments in a parallelogram?

Yes, as long as the two line segments form a right triangle within the parallelogram, the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to find their length.

5. Are there any other methods to find the length of two line segments in a parallelogram?

Yes, if the parallelogram is a rectangle, square, or rhombus, you can also use the properties of those shapes to find the length of the line segments. However, the Pythagorean Theorem is the most general and widely applicable method.