Find Linear Acceleration of Blocks on Suspended Rod | Torque Problem Homework

• Thread starter moose726
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the problem involves two suspended blocks of mass m on a rigid rod of lengths L1=25 cm and L2=83 cm. The rod is initially held horizontally and then released. The linear acceleration of the block closer to the fulcrum can be found by calculating the net torque and moment of inertia of the rod, and then using the relation a=αR. Similarly, the linear acceleration of the other block can also be calculated using this method.
moose726

Homework Statement

Two blocks each of mass m are suspended from the ends of a rigid weightless rod of length L1+L2 with L1 = 25 cm (left of fulcrum) and L2 = 83 cm (right of fulcrum). The rod is held in the horizontal position and then released.

(a) What is the linear acceleration of the block closer to the fulcrum as it starts to move?
m/s2
(b) What is the linear acceleration of the other block as it starts to move?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Torque = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Torque = (.25m)(m)-(.83m)(m) = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
I have no idea where to go from here. Is the rotational inertia the mass of the entire system multiplied the distance from the fulcrum to the center of mass squared I=(MR(cm)^2)? Do I use a=[tex]\alpha[/tex]R and Force equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi moose726, welcome to PF.
Torque is produced due to the weight of the mass.(T = mg*R)
Find net torque and moment of inertia of the rod about the fulcrum. From that find the angular acceleration. And using the relation a = αR, find the linear acceleration.

Thanks a lot for the information and welcome, I finally got the answer.

Related to Find Linear Acceleration of Blocks on Suspended Rod | Torque Problem Homework

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is often described as a twisting or turning force.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system.

3. What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are related but different concepts. Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a twisting force that can cause an object to rotate. Torque is dependent on both the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does torque affect the motion of an object?

Torque can cause an object to rotate or change its rotational speed. The amount of torque applied to an object determines how much it will rotate or how quickly it will rotate.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque?

Torque is used in many different fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. Some common examples of torque in action include opening a door, riding a bike, and tightening a screw or bolt with a wrench.

Back