Find Max Torque Using Smaller Rad of Shaft

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of maximum torque for a shaft using the formula for shear stress. The question arises as to why the smaller radius of the shaft is used instead of the larger one. It is explained that this is because the torque is being applied to the smaller part of the shaft according to the diagram. The conversation also touches on the definition of shear force and how it applies to torque.
1question

Homework Statement

The question wants me to find the maximum torque.
I do not understand why the solution uses the radius of the smaller part of the shaft rather than the radius of the thicker part of the shaft. Please see the attached image.

Homework Equations

shear stress = (max torque)(maximum radius)/J where J = polar moment of inertia.

J = π/2c^4 where c = max radius of the rod

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to use 37.5mm as the radius (radius of larger part of the shaft), but it is not correct. The formula above directly relates torque T and c (radius), which is why I would assume it would be correct to use the largest c value possible. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Attachments

• shaft.bmp
    228.3 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand why the solution uses the radius of the smaller part of the shaft rather than the radius of the thicker part of the shaft.
Probably because the diagram shows the torque being applied to the thin part of the shaft.

It's shear stress you are calculating - the bigger part of the shaft may get a torsional (corkscrew) and a centrifugal stress - but to get a shear stress, something has to be pulling on the surface.
I suspect you are just taking your equation too literally - go back to the definition of a shear force and see how that applies to a torque. i.e. what if you applied the torque to the inner surface of a hollow shaft?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Probably because the diagram shows the torque being applied to the thin part of the shaft.

Should have seen that, haha. Thank you.

The smaller radius shaft must transmit the same torque as the larger radius part.

The formula for calculating shear stress is indeed correct, however, it is important to note that the maximum torque is dependent on the maximum radius of the shaft. In this case, the smaller radius is being used because it is the point at which the torque is greatest. This is due to the fact that the smaller radius experiences a greater force due to the torque, resulting in a higher shear stress and therefore a higher maximum torque. It is important to consider the entire system and not just one component when calculating maximum torque. Additionally, using the smaller radius allows for a more conservative estimate of the maximum torque, ensuring the safety and reliability of the system.

FAQ: Find Max Torque Using Smaller Rad of Shaft

1. What is the purpose of finding the maximum torque using a smaller radius of shaft?

The purpose of finding the maximum torque using a smaller radius of shaft is to determine the maximum amount of twisting force that can be applied to a shaft with a smaller radius. This information is important for designing and testing various mechanical systems and components.

2. How is the maximum torque calculated using a smaller radius of shaft?

The maximum torque is calculated using the equation: T = F x r, where T is the torque, F is the force applied, and r is the radius of the shaft. By using a smaller radius of shaft, the amount of torque that can be applied is reduced due to the decreased lever arm.

3. What factors can affect the maximum torque of a smaller radius shaft?

The maximum torque of a smaller radius shaft can be affected by several factors, including the material of the shaft, the applied force, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, the geometry and design of the shaft can also play a role in determining the maximum torque.

4. How can the maximum torque of a smaller radius shaft be increased?

The maximum torque of a smaller radius shaft can be increased by using a stronger and more durable material for the shaft, increasing the applied force, and optimizing the design of the shaft to reduce stress concentrations. Additionally, using a larger radius of shaft can also increase the maximum torque that can be applied.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the maximum torque using a smaller radius of shaft?

Knowing the maximum torque that can be applied to a smaller radius shaft can be useful in various applications, such as designing and testing engines, motors, and other mechanical systems. It can also be important in determining the load-bearing capacity and potential failure points of different components within a system.