Find Minimal Sum of Distances: (1,2) & (4,3) on Axis OX

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis can be found by calculating the distance between the two points using the distance formula and adding the two distances together. It is important to find this minimal sum as it helps determine the shortest distance between the points. The steps involved include identifying the x-coordinates, using the distance formula, and rounding if necessary. The minimal sum cannot be negative as distances are always positive values. Finding the minimal sum on the x-axis differs from finding it on the y-axis in the formula used, but the steps are similar.
leprofece
find a point on the axis OX whose sum of distances to landmarks: (1, 2) and (4, 3) is minimal.

Answer (2,0)

(x-1)2+(y-2)^2 +
(x-4)2+(y-3)^2 = D

Y = mx
I don't know if solve each distance apart or how i wrote??

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: sum of distances

Your point on the $x$-axis may be written as $(x,0)$, and so the objective function is:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}+\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}\)

Minimizing this gives a different result than what you cite though. (Thinking)

I don't know but the 2 roots must be
((x-2)2+4)1/2+ (x2+9)1/2 = D When I derive an equated to 0 I got (6,0)
the roots that my friend markflo wrote if he didnot make a mistake why are they so??

No, the answer is NOT (2, 0).

The simplest way to do this problem is:

Change the second point to (4, -3) on the opposite side of the x-axis. A straight line is the shortest distance between two point and the straight line from (1, 2) to (4, -3), which has equation y= (-5/3)x+ 11/3, crosses the x-axis when (-5/3)x+11/3= 0 or x= 11/5= 2.2.

Now, draw a picture showing all three points, (1, 2), (4, 3), and (4, -3) and use "congruent triangles" to show that the answer to the given problem is also (2.2, 0).

(This is referred to as the "method of reflections.)

The real answer is (21/5,0)
do it Change the way of solution?

leprofece said:
The real answer is (21/5,0)
do it Change the way of solution?

No, the point is \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{11}{5},0 \right)\).

You can find this either minimizing the funtion I gave or much more simply using the method of reflection as shown by HallsofIvy.

MarkFL said:
No, the point is \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{11}{5},0 \right)\).

You can find this either minimizing the funtion I gave or much more simply using the method of reflection as shown by HallsofIvy.

Your point on the x-axis may be written as (x,0), and so the objective function is:

f(x)=(x−1)2+4−−−−−−−−−−√+(x−4)2+9−−−−−−−−−−√

ok friend mark Thanks
I MUST minimize because I an asked to do so
I tried deriving and I did not get it
OK
operating
(x2-2x+5)1/2+(x2-8x+25)1/2

Deriving
(x-1)/(x2-2x+5)1/2+(x-4)/(x2-8x+25)1/2

Equating to 0
(x-4)(x2-2x+5)1/2+(x-1)(x2-8x+25)1/2= 0

And Squaring
(x-4)2(x2-2x+5) =(x-1)2(x2-8x+25)

I don't know here if I and doing well because I get a cubic equation after that

Please tell and help me (Blush)

Okay, our objective function is:

So, differentiating and equating the result to zero, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{x-1}{\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}}+\frac{x-4}{\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}}=\frac{(x-1)\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}+(x-4)\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}}{\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}}=0\)

We see there are no real roots in the denominator, so we are left with:

\(\displaystyle (x-1)\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}+(x-4)\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}=0\)

\(\displaystyle (x-1)\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}=(4-x)\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}=0\)

Square both sides:

\(\displaystyle (x-1)^2\left((x-4)^2+9 \right)=(x-4)^2\left((x-1)^2+4 \right)\)

Distribute:

\(\displaystyle (x-1)^2(x-4)^2+9(x-1)^2=(x-1)^2(x-4)^2+4(x-4)^2\)

Arrange as:

\(\displaystyle 9(x-1)^2-4(x-4)^2=0\)

Factor as difference of squares:

\(\displaystyle \left(3(x-1)+2(x-4) \right)\left(3(x-1)-2(x-4) \right)=0\)

Distribute and collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle (5x-11)(x+5)=0\)

Checking both roots, we find the root $x=-5$ is extraneous, but the root \(\displaystyle x=\frac{11}{5}\) is valid.

Now, to show that this critical value is at a minimum, we can use the first derivative test:

\(\displaystyle f'(1)=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}<0\)

\(\displaystyle f'(4)=\frac{3}{\sqrt{13}}>0\)

and so we may conclude that the point:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{11}{5},0 \right)\)

is the solution.

The only thing that i don't know
Is where do they some values come from??
f(x)=(x−1)2+4−−−−−−−−−−√+(x−4)2+9−−−−−−−−−−√

One Point is (1,2)
another is (4,3)
I understood (x - 12)2+22 This is root 1
The second root = (x - 22)2+32

I hope It will be so?

The distance from the variable point $(x,0)$ and the given fixed point $(1,2)$ is:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(x-1)^2+(0-2)^2}=\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}\)

The distance from the variable point $(x,0)$ and the given fixed point $(4,3)$ is:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(x-4)^2+(0-3)^2}=\sqrt{(x-4)^2+9}\)

The sum of these distances is our objective function:

FAQ: Find Minimal Sum of Distances: (1,2) & (4,3) on Axis OX

1. How do I find the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis?

The minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis can be found by first calculating the distance between the two points using the distance formula: d = |x2 - x1|. Then, add the two distances together to get the minimal sum.

2. Why is it important to find the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis?

Finding the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis is important because it helps to determine the shortest possible distance between the two points. This can be useful in various applications such as navigation, optimization problems, and data analysis.

3. What are the steps involved in finding the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis?

The steps involved in finding the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis are:
1. Identify the x-coordinates of the two points.
2. Calculate the distance between the two points using the distance formula: d = |x2 - x1|.
3. Add the two distances together to get the minimal sum.
4. Round to the appropriate number of decimal places, if needed.

4. Can the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis be negative?

No, the minimal sum of distances between two points on the x-axis cannot be negative. Distances are always represented as positive values, so the minimal sum will also be a positive value.

5. How does finding the minimal sum of distances on the x-axis differ from finding the minimal sum on the y-axis?

Finding the minimal sum of distances on the x-axis differs from finding the minimal sum on the y-axis in terms of the formula used. For the x-axis, the distance formula is d = |x2 - x1|, while for the y-axis, the distance formula is d = |y2 - y1|. The steps involved in both cases are similar, but the values used in the formula differ depending on the axis.