Find Minimum of Inequality Expression: 0<x<π/2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the minimum value of the expression $$\frac{\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x}{\sin x\cos x}\,\,\,,0<x<\frac{\pi}{2}$$ can be found by using the Pythagorean triple $(5,12,13)$. The minimum value is 17, and this can be verified by setting $\tan\frac x2 = \frac23$, which yields $\sin x = \frac{12}{13}$ and $\cos x = \frac5{13}$. Therefore, the expression can be solved using basic inequalities instead of calculus.
Saitama
I am trying to find the minimum of the following expression:
$$\frac{\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x}{\sin x\cos x}\,\,\,,0<x<\frac{\pi}{2}$$
I know I can bash this with calculus but the expression has a nice minimum value (=17) which makes me think that it can be solved by use of some inequality though I have no idea about how to proceed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
I am trying to find the minimum of the following expression:
$$\frac{\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x}{\sin x\cos x}\,\,\,,0<x<\frac{\pi}{2}$$
I know I can bash this with calculus but the expression has a nice minimum value (=17) which makes me think that it can be solved by use of some inequality though I have no idea about how to proceed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Let $t = \tan\frac x2$. Then $\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}$ and $\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}$. We want to show that $\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x \geqslant 17\sin x\cos x$, or $\sin x(\sin x+1) + 8\cos x(\cos x+1) - 17 \sin x\cos x \geqslant0.$ In terms of $t$ (after multiplying through by $(1+t^2)^2$), that becomes $$2t(2t+ 1+t^2) + 8(1-t^2)(1-t^2 + 1+t^2) - 34t(1-t^2) \geqslant0,$$ $$t(1+t)^2 + 8(1-t^2) - 17t(1-t^2) \geqslant0.$$ That simplifies to $18t^3 - 6t^2 - 16t + 8\geqslant0$, or $9t^3 - 3t^2 - 8t + 4\geqslant0$, which in turn factorises as $(3t-2)^2(t+1) \geqslant0.$ But $t>0$ because $x$ lies between $0$ and $\frac\pi2$. So that last inequality is evidently true (with equality holding only when $t = \frac23$), and you can work backwards to conclude that the original inequality holds for all $x$ in that interval.

The minimum of $\frac{\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x}{\sin x\cos x}$ occurs when $\tan\frac x2 = \frac23$, at which point $\sin x = \frac{12}{13}$ and $\cos x = \frac5{13}$. So the question is somehow based on the Pythagorean triple $(5,12,13)$.

Opalg said:
Let $t = \tan\frac x2$. Then $\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}$ and $\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}$. We want to show that $\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x \geqslant 17\sin x\cos x$, or $\sin x(\sin x+1) + 8\cos x(\cos x+1) - 17 \sin x\cos x \geqslant0.$ In terms of $t$ (after multiplying through by $(1+t^2)^2$), that becomes $$2t(2t+ 1+t^2) + 8(1-t^2)(1-t^2 + 1+t^2) - 34t(1-t^2) \geqslant0,$$ $$t(1+t)^2 + 8(1-t^2) - 17t(1-t^2) \geqslant0.$$ That simplifies to $18t^3 - 6t^2 - 16t + 8\geqslant0$, or $9t^3 - 3t^2 - 8t + 4\geqslant0$, which in turn factorises as $(3t-1)^2(t+1) \geqslant0.$ But $t>0$ because $x$ lies between $0$ and $\frac\pi2$. So that last inequality is evidently true (with equality holding only when $t = \frac23$), and you can work backwards to conclude that the original inequality holds for all $x$ in that interval.

The minimum of $\frac{\sin^2x+8\cos^2x+8\cos x+\sin x}{\sin x\cos x}$ occurs when $\tan\frac x2 = \frac23$, at which point $\sin x = \frac{12}{13}$ and $\cos x = \frac5{13}$. So the question is somehow based on the Pythagorean triple $(5,12,13)$.

This is nice! Thanks a lot Opalg! (Sun) (Bow)

Related to Find Minimum of Inequality Expression: 0<x<π/2

1. What is the meaning of "x" in the inequality expression?

The variable "x" represents a value within the given range of 0 to π/2. It is the value that we are trying to find the minimum of.

2. How do you find the minimum of an inequality expression?

To find the minimum of an inequality expression, we must first determine the critical points by setting the derivative of the expression equal to 0. Then, we plug these critical points into the original expression to find the minimum value.

3. Can the minimum value of the expression be outside the given range of 0 to π/2?

No, the minimum value of the inequality expression can only occur within the given range of 0 to π/2. This is because those are the only values of "x" that satisfy the inequality.

4. Is there a specific method or formula to find the minimum of an inequality expression?

Yes, there are various methods and formulas that can be used to find the minimum of an inequality expression. Some common methods include using the first or second derivative test, setting up and solving a system of equations, or graphing the expression and visually identifying the minimum point.

5. Can the minimum value of the expression be negative?

Yes, the minimum value of the expression can be negative. This will depend on the specific inequality expression and the range of values for "x". It is important to carefully analyze the expression and its given range to determine the minimum value.