Find Minimum Value of T^2 in Normal to Parabola y^2 = 4ax at (at^2, 2at)

In summary: So, in order for this equation to be satisfied, T must be an integer and its square must be positive.
erisedk

Homework Statement

If the normal to the parabola y^2 = 4ax at the point (at^2 , 2at) cuts the parabola again at (aT^2, 2aT), then minimum value of T^2 is
ans: 8

I got the answer but I don't know why it should be the answero_O?

Homework Equations

Equation of normal to the parabola in parametric form can be written as
y-2at = -t(x-at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, in the above equation, I substituted (aT^2, 2aT) as this point will lie on the normal.
2aT - 2at = -t(aT^2 - at^2)
On simplifying,
t^2 + tT + 2 = 0

From here on, I don't quite understand why what I did works.
Minimum value of this quadratic will be at (-b/2a, f(-b/2a) ).
i.e., (-T/2, f(-T/2) )
f(-T/2)= (- T^2 / 4 ) + 2
I equate ( -T^2 / 4 ) + 2 to 0.
I get T^2 = 8.
What did I just do?

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

If the normal to the parabola y^2 = 4ax at the point (at^2 , 2at) cuts the parabola again at (aT^2, 2aT), then minimum value of T^2 is
ans: 8

I got the answer but I don't know why it should be the answero_O?

Homework Equations

Equation of normal to the parabola in parametric form can be written as
y-2at = -t(x-at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, in the above equation, I substituted (aT^2, 2aT) as this point will lie on the normal.
2aT - 2at = -t(aT^2 - at^2)
You can write this as 2a(T- t)= -at(T- t)(T+ t)
T- t= 0 only when T= t so NOT another point of intersection. Since T- t is not 0, we can divide by a(T- t) to get
2= -t(T+ t) or t^2+ Tt+ 2= 0.

On simplifying,
t^2 + tT + 2 = 0

From here on, I don't quite understand why what I did works.
Minimum value of this quadratic will be at (-b/2a, f(-b/2a) ).
i.e., (-T/2, f(-T/2) )
Complete the square: t^2+ Tt + 2= t^2+ Tt+ T^2/4- T^2/4+ 2= (t+ T/2)^2- (T^2/4-2).. Since a square is never negative, this will be minimum when t+ T/2= 0 or t= -T/2. In that case, the equation becomes -(T^2/4- 2)= 0 so that T^2/4= 2, T^2= 8.

f(-T/2)= (- T^2 / 4 ) + 2
I equate ( -T^2 / 4 ) + 2 to 0.
I get T^2 = 8.
What did I just do?

HallsofIvy said:
(t+ T/2)^2- (T^2/4-2).. Since a square is never negative, this will be minimum when t+ T/2= 0 or t= -T/2.
t^2+ Tt + 2 is just a relation between two points. Why does minimising it work? For ex: If I had the function f(x)=x^2 + 3x + 10 , and I was asked to find its minimum value, I would do what you did above, figure out the minima. This gives me the least value of a certain CURVE, in this case, of a parabola. How does finding the minimum value of t^2+ Tt + 2 give me the minimum value of T^2 ? Just tell me WHY it works, I get how you did it, which is also basically what I did.

erisedk said:
t^2+ Tt + 2 is just a relation between two points. Why does minimising it work?
t^2+ Tt + 2 =0 is the conclusion you have come to in order to satisfy the information you were given (i.e. the point is on the normal).
The question asked for the minimum value of T. You could read that as the minimum value of T for which the quadratic has real roots.
i.e. ##\sqrt{T^2 -8} \geq 0##.

Related to Find Minimum Value of T^2 in Normal to Parabola y^2 = 4ax at (at^2, 2at)

1. What is the equation for the normal to a parabola?

The equation for the normal to a parabola y^2 = 4ax is y = -1/(4a) * (x - at^2) + 2at, where t is the point of tangency.

2. How is the minimum value of t^2 found in the normal to a parabola?

The minimum value of t^2 in the normal to a parabola is found by taking the derivative of the equation for the normal and setting it equal to 0, then solving for t.

3. What does the point (at^2, 2at) represent in the context of the parabola?

The point (at^2, 2at) represents the point of tangency between the parabola y^2 = 4ax and its normal at a given value of t. This point lies on both the parabola and its normal, and is the point where they intersect.

4. How does the value of a affect the shape of the parabola and its normal?

The value of a affects the shape of the parabola and its normal by determining the width and curvature of the parabola. A larger value of a results in a wider and flatter parabola, while a smaller value of a results in a narrower and more steeply curved parabola. The normal to the parabola will also have a different slope and y-intercept depending on the value of a.

5. Can the minimum value of t^2 be negative in the normal to a parabola?

Yes, the minimum value of t^2 can be negative in the normal to a parabola. This occurs when the parabola and its normal intersect at a point below the x-axis, and t takes on a negative value at this point.