Find MLE of θ: Maximizing Likelihood fxn

In summary: The solution is x = (±1, ±2, ±3), where ±1, ±2, and ±3 are the solution points of the minimization problem.
dspampi

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2,...Xn be a random sample from pdf,
f(x|θ) = θx-2 where 0 < θ ≤ x < ∞

Find the MLE of θMy attempt:

Likelihood fxn: L(θ|x) = ∏θx-2 = θn∏ θx-2

And to find MLE, I take Log of that function and partial derivative (w.r.t θ, of log L(θ|x) and set that = 0, and get: n/θ = 0

However, I realize that θ ≤ x and θ > 0...what do I need to do to incorporate this to my likelihood function?
In class we discuss about Fisher Information and I have a guess that it has some involvement with this problem, but I'm not sure why and what we can use Fisher Information for this problem?[/SUP][/SUP][/SUP][/SUP][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are on the right track.
You are looking to maximize
##L(\theta | x ) = \prod_{i=1}^n \theta X_i^{-2} = \theta^n \prod_{i=1}^n x_i^{-2}##
for a given vector x.
If you note that ##\prod_{i=1}^n x_i^{-2}## is a constant for any fixed vector X, how do you maximize the likelihood?
##\max L(\theta|x) = C\theta^n ##
You should maximize theta, which is the same result you found with the answer ## \frac{n}{\theta} = 0##.
Now you apply the constraints. For a vector ##x = [X_1, X_2, ..., X_n]##, what is the maximum allowable ##\theta##?

dspampi said:

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2,...Xn be a random sample from pdf,
f(x|θ) = θx-2 where 0 < θ ≤ x < ∞

Find the MLE of θMy attempt:

Likelihood fxn: L(θ|x) = ∏θx-2 = θn∏ θx-2

And to find MLE, I take Log of that function and partial derivative (w.r.t θ, of log L(θ|x) and set that = 0, and get: n/θ = 0

However, I realize that θ ≤ x and θ > 0...what do I need to do to incorporate this to my likelihood function?
In class we discuss about Fisher Information and I have a guess that it has some involvement with this problem, but I'm not sure why and what we can use Fisher Information for this problem?[/SUP][/SUP][/SUP][/SUP][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]

In constrained optimization it is often wrong to set derivatives to zero, because the results violate the constraints. In your problem, you want to solve
[tex] \max_{\theta} L(\theta|x) = \theta^n \prod_{i=1}^n x_i^{-2}, \; \text{subject to} \; 0 < \theta \leq \min\, (x_1,x_2, \ldots, x_n) [/tex]
The derivative will definitely not = 0 at the optimal solution.

If ##\underline{x} = \min\, (x_1,x_2, \ldots, x_n)##, what is the solution of the problem of maximizing ##\theta^n## over the region ##0 < \theta \leq \underline{x}##?

Last edited:

Related to Find MLE of θ: Maximizing Likelihood fxn

1. What is the maximum likelihood estimation (MLE) method?

The maximum likelihood estimation method is a statistical technique used to find the most likely values for the parameters of a probability distribution based on a set of observed data. It involves finding the parameter values that maximize the likelihood function, which measures the probability of obtaining the observed data given the parameter values.

2. How is the likelihood function used to find the MLE of θ?

The likelihood function is a mathematical representation of the probability of obtaining the observed data given a specific set of parameter values. To find the MLE of θ, we use the likelihood function to calculate the probability of obtaining the observed data for different values of θ. The value of θ that results in the highest probability is considered the MLE.

3. What is the difference between MLE and other estimation methods?

Unlike other estimation methods, MLE does not require any assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data. It only requires a set of observed data and a probability function. MLE also has desirable statistical properties, such as consistency and efficiency, making it a popular method for parameter estimation.

4. Can MLE be used for any type of data?

Yes, MLE can be used for any type of data as long as the data can be modeled using a probability distribution. This includes continuous, discrete, and categorical data. However, the choice of the probability distribution will depend on the nature of the data and the research question being addressed.

5. How do I interpret the MLE of θ?

The MLE of θ represents the most likely value of the parameter θ that would result in the observed data. It is not a guaranteed or exact value, but rather the best estimate based on the available data. The MLE can be used to make predictions or inferences about the population from which the data was obtained.