Find molar absorptivity given the following

• Thread starter ssb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the molar absorptivity of K2Cr2O7 at 455 nm using Beers law and given information about concentration and transmittance. The final calculation involves solving for A, which is found to be 185.5359, with 4 significant figures.
ssb

Homework Statement

Calculate the molar absorptivity of K2Cr2O7 at 455 nm given that 36.5 mg disolved in 500.0 mL exhibits 12.0% transmittance at 455 nm in a 2.000 cm cell.

Homework Equations

Beers law E = A/bc

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do the following part ( i solved for concentration of K2Cr2O7 )
I found the atomic mass of K2Cr2O7
[(0.0365 g)/(294.07 g/mol)] / (0.5000 L) = 2.482 x 10^-4

Now I plug this into beers law but the question asks for something about a 12.0% transmittance. I am stuck here. How does transmittance relate to molar absorptivity?

I basically have 2 unknowns in one equation... what do I need to do next?

E = A / [(2.000 cm)(2.482 x 10^-4)] and I need to solve for A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does A = -log(.12)= .0921 ?

and if this is the case

E = 0.0921 / [(2.000 cm)(2.482 x 10^-4)] = 185.5359 ? are sig figs correct as well?

Last edited:
Which number in your calculation has the fewest sig figs? How many are there? How many are in your answer?

Related to Find molar absorptivity given the following

1. How do I find the molar absorptivity given a set of data?

To find the molar absorptivity, you will need to use the Beer-Lambert law, which states that absorbance is directly proportional to the concentration of a substance and the path length of the light through the sample. By plotting a graph of absorbance versus concentration and finding the slope, you can determine the molar absorptivity.

2. What units is molar absorptivity typically measured in?

Molar absorptivity is typically measured in units of liters per mole per centimeter (L mol-1 cm-1). This unit represents the amount of light absorbed by 1 mole of a substance in a 1 cm path length.

3. Can molar absorptivity values vary for the same substance?

Yes, molar absorptivity values can vary depending on the conditions of the experiment, such as the wavelength of light used, the solvent, and the temperature. It is important to use the same experimental conditions when comparing molar absorptivity values.

4. How does the molar absorptivity relate to the extinction coefficient?

The molar absorptivity and extinction coefficient are related by the equation ε = log10(10) * εext, where ε is the molar absorptivity and εext is the extinction coefficient. The extinction coefficient is a measure of how strongly a substance absorbs light, while the molar absorptivity takes into account the concentration of the substance as well.

5. Can molar absorptivity be used to identify unknown substances?

No, molar absorptivity alone cannot be used to identify unknown substances. It is a measure of how much light a substance absorbs, but other factors such as the chemical structure and purity of the substance also play a role. Molar absorptivity is typically used in conjunction with other analytical techniques to identify and quantify substances.