Find Optimal Speed for Fuel Efficiency in a Car

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of fuel consumption in gallons per mile for a car. This involves using the graph provided to find the function c(v) in gallons per hour and then applying the formula G = c(v)/v to find the minimum value. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using curve fitting to find the c(v) function and solve the problem.
mrm0607
Hi,

I would like help to solve the following question.

Q: The graph shows the fuel consumption c of a car (measured in gallons per hour) as a function of the speed v of the car. At very low speeds the engine runs inefficiently, so initially c decreases as the speed increases. but at high speeds the fuel consumption increases. you can see that c(v) is minimized for this car when v~30mi/h. however, for fuel efficiency, what must be minimized is not the consumption in gallons per hour but rather the fuel consumption in gallons per mile. let's call this consumption G. Using the graph, estimate the speed at which G has its minimum value. URL for graph is listed below.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3246/imgtmp.pdf

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So your c(v) is in gallons/hr, and your v is the variable here. You want to find G = c(v)/v = gallons/hr / (miles/hr) = gallons/mile. Now find the minimum of G

c(v)/v = G
G/dv = (c'(v)*v - c(v)*v')/(v^2)

Find (c'(v)*v - c(v))/(v^2) = 0

If you give me the rest of that graph I can do curve fitting and perhaps get you the c(v) function and the solution to this

Last edited:
Thank you. I will try that.

Related to Find Optimal Speed for Fuel Efficiency in a Car

1. What is the optimal speed for fuel efficiency in a car?

The optimal speed for fuel efficiency in a car can vary depending on the specific make and model of the car. However, in general, the most fuel efficient speed for most cars is between 50-60 miles per hour. This is because the engine is typically running at its most efficient level at this speed.

2. Does driving at a constant speed improve fuel efficiency?

Yes, driving at a constant speed can improve fuel efficiency. This is because constantly accelerating and decelerating uses more fuel than maintaining a consistent speed. Additionally, maintaining a constant speed allows the car's engine to operate at its most efficient level.

3. How does the type of fuel affect optimal speed for fuel efficiency?

The type of fuel used in a car can affect the optimal speed for fuel efficiency. For example, diesel cars tend to have a higher optimal speed for fuel efficiency compared to gasoline cars. This is because diesel engines are more efficient at higher speeds.

4. How can I determine the optimal speed for my specific car?

The best way to determine the optimal speed for fuel efficiency in your specific car is to consult the owner's manual or do some research on your car's make and model. You can also monitor your car's fuel efficiency at different speeds and see where it peaks.

5. Is it better to drive at a lower speed or use cruise control for fuel efficiency?

In general, using cruise control can improve fuel efficiency compared to driving at a lower speed. This is because cruise control helps maintain a consistent speed, which as mentioned before, can improve fuel efficiency. However, it's important to note that using cruise control on hilly or winding roads may not be as effective for fuel efficiency.