Find Out Why Orientation C is Least Likely to Break Wires

In summary, the question asks which orientation of three pictures of equal weight (20 N) hung by wires is least likely to break them. The correct answer is orientation C, with a 60 degree angle with the horizontal. This is because the distance between the two wires is smaller, resulting in less gravity and therefore less tension on the wires. However, it's important to also consider the reason why wires break in the first place, which is due to tension. Therefore, the smaller the tension, the less likely the wires are to break.
c2015cg

Homework Statement

Three pictures of equal weight (20 N) are hung by wires in three different orientations. In which orientation are the wires least likely to break? Orientation A: 15 degree with horizontal,Orientation B: 45 degree angle with horizontal, Orientation C: 60 angle with horizontal?

Homework Equations

No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer the question correctly (orientation C), but I need more information as to why that is correct. I already said that the distance between the two wires should be smaller because it would mean less gravity and therefore less tension. What part am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
c2015cg said:

Homework Statement

Three pictures of equal weight (20 N) are hung by wires in three different orientations. In which orientation are the wires least likely to break? Orientation A: 15 degree with horizontal,Orientation B: 45 degree angle with horizontal, Orientation C: 60 angle with horizontal?

Homework Equations

No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer the question correctly (orientation C), but I need more information as to why that is correct. I already said that the distance between the two wires should be smaller because it would mean less gravity and therefore less tension. What part am I missing?

What does less gravity mean? Don't all the pictures have the same weight?

Hint: think about why a wire is going to break in the first place.

Related to Find Out Why Orientation C is Least Likely to Break Wires

1. Why is Orientation C least likely to break wires?

Orientation C is least likely to break wires because it is the orientation that experiences the least amount of stress and tension on the wires. This is due to the way the wires are positioned and supported in this orientation, which minimizes the risk of them being pulled or bent too tightly.

2. What factors contribute to the likelihood of wire breakage in different orientations?

The main factors that contribute to wire breakage in different orientations include the amount of stress and tension on the wires, the positioning and support of the wires, and the overall design and construction of the system in which the wires are being used.

3. Can other orientations be modified to be equally as resistant to wire breakage as Orientation C?

Yes, other orientations can be modified to be equally as resistant to wire breakage as Orientation C. This can be achieved by repositioning and supporting the wires in a similar way to Orientation C, as well as ensuring that the system design allows for minimal stress and tension on the wires.

4. Are there any other benefits to using Orientation C aside from its resistance to wire breakage?

Yes, there are other benefits to using Orientation C. This orientation can also help to improve the overall efficiency and functionality of the system, as it minimizes the risk of wire breakage and potential downtime or malfunctions. Additionally, the use of Orientation C can also prolong the lifespan of the wires, reducing the need for frequent replacements and repairs.

5. How can I determine if Orientation C is the best option for my specific system?

The best way to determine if Orientation C is the best option for your specific system is to consult with a professional engineer or conduct thorough testing and analysis. This will help to identify the unique needs and requirements of your system, and determine if Orientation C is the most suitable and effective choice for minimizing wire breakage.