Find Overall Gradient from dz/dx & dz/dy

• Thread starter Faken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary, the conversation is about finding the overall gradient of a flat plate in 3D space with known slopes in the x and y directions. The individual gradients are combined using a formula for the magnitude of the gradient vector, without considering the direction. The speaker is seeking to understand the direction and slope that a ball on the plate would experience due to gravity. The expert notes that the gradient of a function in 3D space has three components and the magnitude cannot be found without knowing all three components. The expert also clarifies that the conversation is actually about working in two dimensions, not three.
Faken
Hello everyone,

I have 2 components of a gradient, for example, the dz/dx and the dz/dy, I want to find the overall gradient it forms, how would I do that?

Is it simply by combining the two gradients like this:

overall gradient = ((dz/dx)^2 + (dz/dy)^2)^(1/2)

I don't need the direction, I don't really care about the direction, i just need the value of the combined gradients.

Thanks in advance

-FakenEdit:

Well, it seems that I'm not asking my question clearly enough, let me try again but this time with a physical example.Imagine a flat plate in 3D space that has a known slope in the x direction and the y direction (or dz/dx and dz/dy, in this case, we are using the right handed coordinate system with positive x going from left to right, positive y going away from you, and positive z going up).

If i place a ball on the plate and gravity acts on the ball in the negative z direction, which direction will the ball go (as viewed from above, or the path projected onto the XY plane), and what slope will the ball "see" going in that direction.

Basically its like converting Cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates, except I'm dealing with a gradient or slope.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The gradient of a function is a vector field. If you are working in 3D space, then the vector field has three components. You cannot find the magnitude without knowing all three components.

Ok maybe not 3d space.

What, exactly, do YOU mean by "overall gradient" then? If you start with two values, but the formula you then gives, assuming that z is a function of the two variables x and y, is for the magnitude of the gradient vector. The gradient vector itself is just [itex]\left(\partial z/\partial x\right)\vec{i}+ \left(\partial z/\partial y}\left)\vec{j}[/itex].
And, of course, you must be working in two dimensions, not three.

FAQ: Find Overall Gradient from dz/dx & dz/dy

1. What does "Find Overall Gradient" mean in this context?

The overall gradient refers to the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase or decrease of a function. In the context of dz/dx and dz/dy, it represents the overall slope of a surface in two dimensions.

2. How are dz/dx and dz/dy related to the overall gradient?

The partial derivatives dz/dx and dz/dy represent the rate of change of a function in the x and y directions, respectively. The overall gradient is calculated by combining these two partial derivatives to determine the overall slope of the surface.

3. Can you explain the process for finding the overall gradient from dz/dx and dz/dy?

To find the overall gradient, you can use the formula: √(dz/dx)^2 + (dz/dy)^2. This represents the magnitude of the overall gradient, and the direction can be determined by taking the inverse tangent of dz/dy/dz/dx.

4. What is the significance of finding the overall gradient from dz/dx and dz/dy?

The overall gradient is an important concept in mathematics and science, as it helps us understand the behavior of functions in multiple dimensions. It is also used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and predict changes in a system.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding the overall gradient from dz/dx and dz/dy?

Yes, there are many applications of finding the overall gradient, such as determining the direction and rate of change of a river's flow, analyzing the slope of a mountain for geological studies, and predicting changes in stock prices in finance. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D surfaces.