Find Prashad's Course Choice Combinations - Explained

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
Therefore, P(6,4) x P(4,3) would be the correct way to calculate the number of ways Prashad can list his course choices. In summary, Prashad must list his course choices in order of preference on his university application. He must choose four of the six courses available in his major discipline and three of the four courses offered in related subjects. The number of ways he can list his course choices is P(6,4) x P(4,3), as there is no preference order between major discipline courses and related subject courses.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

On his university application, Prashad must list his course choices in order of preference.

He must choose four of the six courses available in his major discipline and three of the four courses offered in related subjects.

In how many ways can Prashad list his course choices? Explain the reasoning for your answer2. The attempt at a solution

Is it simply P(6,4) x P(4,3)? the concern i have is that would we need to mix the major discipline courses and the related subject courses together? But in that case would we even be able to solve it?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Is it simply P(6,4) x P(4,3)?
Looks that way to me.

the concern i have is that would we need to mix the major discipline courses and the related subject courses together? But in that case would we even be able to solve it?
I really don't get what you mean here.

stunner5000pt said:

Homework Statement

On his university application, Prashad must list his course choices in order of preference.

He must choose four of the six courses available in his major discipline and three of the four courses offered in related subjects.

In how many ways can Prashad list his course choices? Explain the reasoning for your answer2. The attempt at a solution

Is it simply P(6,4) x P(4,3)? the concern i have is that would we need to mix the major discipline courses and the related subject courses together? But in that case would we even be able to solve it?

Thank you for your help!

Think about whether you should use P(6,4) or C(6,4), etc.

stunner5000pt said:
the concern i have is that would we need to mix the major discipline courses and the related subject courses together? But in that case would we even be able to solve it?

Thank you for your help!
No, these are preferences. It doesn't make sense to have a preference order between a major course and related discipline.

Related to Find Prashad's Course Choice Combinations - Explained

1. What is the purpose of "Find Prashad's Course Choice Combinations - Explained"?

The purpose of "Find Prashad's Course Choice Combinations - Explained" is to provide a detailed explanation of how to find the different course combinations that Prashad can take based on his course choices and the availability of those courses.

2. How does this resource help with course planning?

This resource helps with course planning by breaking down the process of finding course combinations for Prashad into manageable steps, allowing for a more organized and efficient approach to course selection.

3. Is this resource applicable to all students or just Prashad?

This resource can be helpful for any student who is trying to plan their course choices and determine the different combinations that are available to them, not just Prashad.

4. What information is needed to use this resource?

To use this resource, you will need to know Prashad's course choices and the availability of those courses, as well as any relevant course requirements or restrictions.

5. Are there any limitations to this resource?

While this resource provides a comprehensive explanation of how to find course combinations, there may be specific factors or circumstances that are not covered. It is always recommended to consult with an academic advisor for personalized course planning.