Find Pythagoras Triples w/ Given Hypotenuse

• Thread starter Terry Coates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    search
In summary, the conversation discussed a method for finding Pythagorean triples with a given hypotenuse. The method involves a trial and error search with specific limits and can be applied to numbers with prime factors of the form 4n+1. Examples were given, and it was mentioned that this method can find all Pythagorean triples.
Terry Coates
I wonder if I have found the most efficient way of finding any pythagoras triple with a given hypotenuse that has not been published?
My method uses a trial and error search, but with the limits set to minimize the number of trials as follows:
Try odd values X within the limits of int(C^0.5) +1 to int(2.C)^0.5 inclusive such that
2.C - X^2 = Y^2. C being the required hypotenuse. {This is always possible and in a number of ways depending on the number (at least one) of prime factors of form 4n+1 in C.}
Then the required value of one side of the triangle is given by X.Y
Example C= 65
lower limit = 9 upper limit = 11
X = 11, Y = 3 or X = 9 Y = 7

33^2 + 56^2 = 65^2 or 63^2 + 16^2 = 65^2

These are primitive solutions, but non primitive ones can be found by applying the above method to C = 5 or 17 and then multiplying the three sides by 17 or 5.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I moved this thread from the textbooks section, as it seemed more related to the mathematics and very little to textbooks.

Your examples can all be found by the equation ##(u^2-v^2)^2 + (2uv)^2 = (u^2+v^2)^2## which is well known.
I can't remember and haven't looked up whether all triples can be found this way. Nevertheless, your's can be found, e.g. ##65^2=8^2+1^2=7^2+4^2##.

fresh_42 said:
Your examples can all be found by the equation ##(u^2-v^2)^2 + (2uv)^2 = (u^2+v^2)^2## which is well known.
I can't remember and haven't looked up whether all triples can be found this way. Nevertheless, your's can be found, e.g. ##65^2=8^2+1^2=7^2+4^2##.
This gives all triples.

Likes SammyS

Related to Find Pythagoras Triples w/ Given Hypotenuse

1. How do you find Pythagorean triples with a given hypotenuse?

To find Pythagorean triples with a given hypotenuse, you can use the formula (a, b, c) = (m^2 - n^2, 2mn, m^2 + n^2), where m and n are positive integers and c is the given hypotenuse. By substituting different values for m and n, you can generate different Pythagorean triples.

2. Can Pythagorean triples be negative?

No, Pythagorean triples cannot be negative. These triples represent the sides of a right triangle, and by definition, all sides of a triangle must be positive. If you come across a negative value when finding Pythagorean triples, it means you have made a mistake in your calculations.

3. How many Pythagorean triples can be generated with a given hypotenuse?

There are infinitely many Pythagorean triples that can be generated with a given hypotenuse. This is because there are infinitely many possible combinations of m and n that can be substituted into the formula (a, b, c) = (m^2 - n^2, 2mn, m^2 + n^2). However, some combinations may result in the same triple, just in a different order (e.g. (3, 4, 5) and (4, 3, 5) are the same triple).

4. Can any number be a hypotenuse in a Pythagorean triple?

Yes, any number can be a hypotenuse in a Pythagorean triple. However, not all numbers will result in Pythagorean triples that have whole number values for all sides. For example, the hypotenuse of (5, 12, 13) is 13, but the hypotenuse of (1, 1, √2) is not a whole number.

5. Are Pythagorean triples only applicable to right triangles?

Yes, Pythagorean triples are only applicable to right triangles. This is because the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, only applies to right triangles. Therefore, any set of three numbers that satisfies this theorem can only represent the sides of a right triangle.