Find rate of change (Why is my answer wrong?)

In summary, the rate of change of temperature with respect to distance at the point (1, 1) on a flat metal plate is -1.02 °C/m in both the x-direction and y-direction. This is found by taking the derivative of the temperature function, which is given by T(x, y) = 62/(9 + x2 + y2), with respect to the distance represented by D = √(x2 + y2) and evaluating it at the point (1,1).
carl123
The temperature at a point (x, y) on a flat metal plate is given by

T(x, y) = 62/(9 + x2 + y2)

where T is measured in °C and x, y in meters. Find the rate of change of temperature with respect to distance at the point (1, 1) in the x-direction and the y-direction.

My solution so far:

dT/dx = -124x/(x2+y2+9)2

dT/dy = -124y/(x2+y2+9)2

dT/dx at (1,1) = -1.02 °C/m (x-direction)
dT/dy at (1,1) = -1.02 °C/m (y - direction)

It says my answers is wrong, I don't why? It's also not from a text so i don't know the exact answers

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answers are correct up to the second decimal digit. If you are using an automated submission system, it may expect the answer in the form -124/121.

carl123 said:
The temperature at a point (x, y) on a flat metal plate is given by

T(x, y) = 62/(9 + x2 + y2)

where T is measured in °C and x, y in meters. Find the rate of change of temperature with respect to distance at the point (1, 1) in the x-direction and the y-direction.

So wouldn't you need a variable to represent the distance?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} D^2 = x^2 + y^2 \implies T = \frac{62}{9 + D^2} \end{align*}$

and so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}T}{\mathrm{d}D} &= -\frac{124D}{\left( 9 + D^2 \right) ^2 } \end{align*}$

Now evaluate this rate at the point (x,y) = (1,1).

Related to Find rate of change (Why is my answer wrong?)

What is the concept of rate of change?

The rate of change is a mathematical concept that measures how much one quantity changes in relation to another quantity. It is often referred to as the slope or gradient of a line on a graph.

How do you calculate the rate of change?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the dependent variable (y) by the change in the independent variable (x). This can be written as (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are two points on the line.

Why is my answer to the rate of change wrong?

There could be several reasons why your answer to the rate of change is wrong. Some possible reasons include mistaking the dependent and independent variables, using incorrect values for the points on the line, or making a calculation error. It is important to double check your work and make sure you understand the concept before attempting to solve the problem.

Can the rate of change be negative?

Yes, the rate of change can be negative. This indicates that the dependent and independent variables are changing in opposite directions. For example, if the dependent variable decreases as the independent variable increases, the rate of change would be negative.

How is the rate of change useful in real life?

The rate of change is useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the rate of change of a stock price, or analyzing the growth of a population. It allows us to understand how one quantity is changing in relation to another, and can help us make predictions and decisions based on this information.